BMW G450X - All I can say is ..................................

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Plothond

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 1090 Adventure R
:drif: :drif: :drif: :drif: :drif: :drif: :drif: :drif: :drif: :drif: :drif: :drif: :drif:
:drif: :drif: :drif: :drif: :drif: :drif: :drif: :drif: :drif: :drif: :drif: :drif: :drif:

Went on an outing this morning  :ricky:

BMWG450X021.jpg

There were some clever people  ;D  and a nice lady there  :drif:

BMWG450X030.jpg

I got some airtime  :drif: :drif: :drif: :ricky:

BMWG450X062.jpg

BMWG450X069.jpg

BMWG450X071.jpg

The clever people can ride quite well  :pot:

BMWG450X2087a.jpg

Our local (A)MX dealer got some airtime as well

BMWG450X2105a.jpg

Practising his freestyle moves  :imaposer:

BMWG450X2106a.jpg

Some more airtime

BMWG450X2131a.jpg

BMWG450X2132a.jpg

Air filter nice and high up

BMWG450X040a.jpg

View of the engine

BMWG450X003a.jpg

Sprocket easy to change - no need to remove the swingarm

BMWG450X007a.jpg

Just one please sir,  ;D

BMWG450X014a.jpg

Yours truely - with a nice bike
You will have to buy the next Top Bike to find out more  >:D

BMWG450X015a.jpg

Nice Photo's!

Definitely some new competition on the block! ;)

edgy said:
Are they leaving Yamaha? Doubt it! Whos gonna pilot these machines for BMW?

I had to ask myself the question though = How come they were there ;D

BTW: They (BMW) have not entered the roof " yet". Apparently their marketing budget has not allowed for this.
There is apparently a top rider rider who has asked for a bike - he will pay his own way. The roof is not far off though - so lets see what happens.

Oh..... and watch this space. I may just not be done with that BM yet !!!!!!! ;D

I like the chain layout with the sprocket in line with the pivot point... that is brilliant engineering.
If these bikes are as reliable as the Yamaha's and Honda's on the off road/enduro scene then watch out... we will be seeing many more riders change brands.
How do they compare price wise with the Japs?

Plothond said:
edgy said:
Are they leaving Yamaha? Doubt it! Whos gonna pilot these machines for BMW?

I had to ask myself the question though = How come they were there ;D

BTW: They (BMW) have not entered the roof " yet". Apparently their marketing budget has not allowed for this.
There is apparently a top rider rider who has asked for a bike - he will pay his own way. The roof is not far off though - so lets see what happens.

Oh..... and watch this space. I may just not be done with that BM yet !!!!!!! ;D

As if there is any doubt left, Gray and Jade signed with BMW for next year.
Yes both saying goodbye to Yamaha.

There is a BMW factory team from Germany racing the roof, Gerherd Forster is riding.
7th Erzberg, 2nd Romaniacs this year.
Has a previous 4th at the roof so knows his stuff.

Gray has won the national offroad title 2x before and the open class title over 5 times.
Jade has many enduro titles and a roof win to his name.
BMW could not have signed two better riders.

After riding the BMW and the KTM 450's, what are your thoughts Plotie?  ;D

Hi Plottie ;)

Spent some time on one this morning--Sunday. All i can say is  :thumleft: Pllenty of bikes to go arround for all to ride. Saw a few guys make arses of themselves by flipping them. Runs well for a 450 and very smooth. Low down throttle response very much like the GS 800 and the GS 650 ( newe shape) a bit ratty. Sitting position  :thumleft: Suspension-back  :thumleft: Front suspension- needs some tweaking. Power with ems unplugged  :thumleft: Overall package-Definately a market for this bike out there.

When Gray Dick was asked what he thought about the bike---Put the Akropovic pipe on and its ready to race. :thumleft:

Good luck BMW with your latest addition to the stable. Pity the Demo bikes will not be available for sale until next year. Maybe a good thing so that the itch i have can be healed by then.

Solid radiator in front and high up :thumleft:

Attachments

• DSC03808.jpg
    DSC03808.jpg
    101.5 KB
Mark Hardy said:

Let me put it this way:  (..and BTW I will be a bit evasive about my comments)
- Also see the following in a POSITIVE way

It's a BMW - It's unlikely this marque will ever build a crappy product
There are things I definately DO NOT like
There are however some EXCEPTIONAL positives. I will elaborate on one: It eats sand for breakfast. This is positively one of the BEST sand riding machines I have ever sat on
Blazes sums it up well

Plothond said:
Mark Hardy said:

Let me put it this way:  (..and BTW I will be a bit evasive about my comments)
- Also see the following in a POSITIVE way

It's a BMW - It's unlikely this marque will ever build a crappy product
There are things I definately DO NOT like
There are however some EXCEPTIONAL positives. I will elaborate on one: It eats sand for breakfast. This is positively one of the BEST sand riding machines I have ever sat on
Blazes sums it up well

:thumleft: Thanks, what little you said, says alot.  ;D . Can't wait to take one for a spin around the dunes.

Guys

An excerpt from the review on the BMW Motorad website. I wonder how good the Kymco motor is? And why they did not use Rotax?

2009 BMW G 450 X Review
10/10/2008
By Adam Duckworth
Pictures by BMW

We get by with a little help from our friends. Thanks to the hard-working crew at MCN, here's a piece on a bike we haven't got a chance to ride - yet.

If you were a gambling man, you'd have laid money on BMW's first-ever production enduro race bike being quirky and interesting but ultimately uncompetitive. After all, entering a whole new segment of the market against established competition, on a bike that follows BMW's mantra of offering bikes with unusual and often odd engineering looks like a recipe for disappointment. Especially when you throw in to the mix that the bike uses an engine designed by BMW but built by Kymco in Taiwan

Well, that is a moot point.

Because all right-hand drive C Class Mercs in the world (ditto BMW 3 Series) are built in South Africa.

Yes, SA with its Bantu education, high HIV rate and other crap.

To illustrate:

Made-in-SA BMWs among the best
Les Tilley

13 June 2002

A South African factory has scooped a stunning award, with BMWâ??s Rosslyn plant near Pretoria winning for its Munich parent the vote of best BMW manufacturing plant in Europe and second-best vehicle manufacturing plant in the world in a major US ratings survey.

The Rosslyn plant was awarded the highly prestigious European Gold Plant Quality Award by the leading US ratings agency, JD Powers, on 31 May. Although the plant is in South Africa, it falls under the European parent BMW AG in Munich.

"This is a truly extraordinary achievement,â? said BMW Managing Director Ian Robertson. â??Not only has BMW South Africa been recognised as building the best quality cars "in Europe" but also, our record has comprehensively beaten major car manufacturing plants throughout the world. Clearly, BMWâ??s drive to achieve world-class quality here in South Africa is proving to be successful.â?

Since BMWâ??s 1998 investment in the upgrade of the Rosslyn plant, quality, on-time delivery and productivity has substantially improved, resulting in an announcement in December 2001 of further investment of R2-billion by BMW AG.

According to BMWâ??s communications executive Richard Carter, this was due to its investment in training and education. â??Other countries said that SA couldnâ??t build cars up to BMW Germanyâ??s quality and we knew we had a profound challenge to meet. We spent vast amounts on training compared to elsewhere. In South Africa we spend 10% of our annual wage bill on training compared to 2% in Germany and 2-3% in the USA.â?

The 2002 Initial Quality Study by JD Powers is based on responses from nearly 65,000 purchasers and lessees of new 2002 model-year cars and trucks surveyed after 90 days of ownership. The study, now in its 16th year, is considered the industry benchmark for new-vehicle quality. Average industry initial quality stands at 133 problems per 100 vehicles, a 14-per-100 improvement over 2001. The Rosslyn plant scored an impressive 85 on this scale.

BMWâ??s plant in Munich received the Silver award in the Europe section with a rating of 87, and DaimlerChryslerâ??s Sindelfingen plant (also in Germany) came third with 94 and was awarded the Bronze award. In the Asia Pacific Region, Toyota fared best with scores of between 91 and 93, while in the North and South America Region, GM won with scores of between 93 and 100. Toyota in Japan had the best scores overall, according to Carter.

Speaking from Rosslyn, BMW South Africaâ??s Technical Director, Harald Vogt paid tribute to the staff and associates working at the plant. "The tremendous effort of all our people to produce cars of world-class quality is paying off," said Vogt.

JD Power and Associates in California is a global marketing information services firm operating in key business sectors including market research, forecasting, consulting, training and customer satisfaction. Its ratings are based on responses from millions of consumers annually.

In December last year, BMW South Africa announced that a decision had been reached by BMW AG in Munich to build future BMW models at the Rosslyn manufacturing plant, near Pretoria. Investment into the South African facility in preparation for future production will amount to an initial R2-billion.

Major additions and modifications are to be made to the plant, including substantial extensions to the body manufacturing and assembly complex. In addition, a massive new preparation plant is to be added to the existing, state-of-the-art, water-based paint facility.

It is anticipated that the upgraded plant will be capable of producing over 60 000 units a year, which will result in a substantial increase in BMWâ??s export capacity to R50-billion a year over the lifecycle of future models.

This investment announcement came on the back of an injection into the Rosslyn plant of R800-million in 1998 and over R500-million over the last three years. During this time, BMW South Africa has grown its overall production volume by 220%, while its production of cars for export markets has quadrupled.

Seventy-five percent of the 49 000 vehicles produced at the Rosslyn Plant during 2001 were destined for BMW customers in the US, Japan, Taiwan, Singapore, New Zealand, Hong Kong and Australia. Almost 80% of this year's production of 55 000 units will be exported.

Staff employed at Rosslyn has grown by almost 900 between 1998 and 2001, which BMW says has led to the creation of over 18 000 downstream jobs within BMWâ??s South African supplier network. BMW says that the growing export programme had resulted in BMW South Africa putting over R3.5-billion annually into the pockets of South African business.

So what I'm trying to say is that if Sefricans from all walks of life can do this, then surely the Taiwanese (still officially a province of China) surely can match that?

Or am I talking kak here?