BMW G650 Xchallenge

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrisB

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW F650GS / Dakar
Hi

I booked a test ride for this morning at Lyndhurst arrived there about 08:45 really looking forward to ride the X. I saw the bike in real for the first time the and I must admit that it's quite attractive in a strange way.

Bike is really tall and with my height at 1.87m I could just touch down at traffic lights although the bike is very well balanced, I could balance standing still for a second or two at some lights before changing. I am used to my plain vanila 650gs's height so stopping next to okes in their 4x4 bakkies and look them level in the eye is quite lekka.

Steering is VERY,VERY direct as Brian also warned me just before I took of on the bike any jink on the bars at speed could be catastrophic, but I guess that's expected from this type of bike. Brakes are excellent with steel braided brake hoses and are very effective in bringing the bike to a quick halt.

I did not have time to play around with suspension configuration, but boy it was setup lekka hard on this bike (hard is always good :wink: ) nice for serious off road ridding. The seat is is farking hard and really appreciated my bikes seat on the way back home, fuel tank can only take 8 or 9litres of fuel and they claim you should get around 250km from a tank witch is not bad for fuel consumption. Engine power is good I klapped 140km/h very easily on the high way although the motor is not run in yet and still a bit on the stiff side, slicing through cars is on the high way is a breeze with this babe.

This bike is a very "single minded" bike I think it will be good second bike an addition to the dual sport bike that I have, I see my f650gs as a "work horse" the X is all out fun. I'm in love with this bike and should be getting one soon as finaces allows it preferably I would like to keep my gs for those longer range outings or taking a pillion on board.

I did not do off road ridding as I am to scared that I might crash up their demo bike but did jaag up curb to jaag all along the veld to get to the main road close to my house... real fun bike! MY wife loves the looks of this bike as well so I should get approval from the government soon... :wink:

Here is a couple of picks:

DSC03074.jpg

DSC03073.jpg

DSC03071.jpg

DSC03076.jpg