Body Armor advice needed

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rival

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Honda CRF 300L
I've been considering some body armor for a while. After this weekend's ride, and taking an hour yesterday washing red dust out of my adventure jacket, I'm considering it even more. I'm figuring at the speeds I ride dirt, the body armor with a MX shirt should be enough upper body protection. (Will consider neck-brace later). As far as I can tell body armor ranges from R1k no-name to R7k Leatt and everything in between.

The Leatt 6.5 goes far down the spine, and has that side protection for the kidneys, which makes sense, but I'm sure there must be cheaper alternatives offering similar protection.

There are some Body Armor threads already, but this one is more a "Body Armor for Dummies" thread. I've never worn anything other than adventure jackets, so need some advice;
When I'm shopping around, what am I supposed to look for and take into consideration (good and bad)?
Anything on the specs I should look out for or avoid?
Any specific brand/model suggestions that I can Google and watch some reviews on?