...but will it buff out?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Staffie

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW F800GSA
I've been riding my F800GSA and have had some wonderful adventures. I just LOVE that bike!

Late last week on my way to work in Parklands I was standing at a robot in the left lane, to turn left, casually minding my own business and waiting for the light to turn green. Next to me is a right turn/going over straight line, then a middleman and then the lane for the opposite direction traffic.
The light turns green and I turn left, not knowing a taxi comes racing down into the oncoming traffic, shoots over the right turn (where the bakkie is in this image) -and left turn lanes (where I was patiently waiting), and pushes me into the sidewalk! Note: I did not see him as he was racing down the oncoming traffic lane...

1725517418199.png

Fortunately the GS has crashbars and I could keep her upright, fighting the taxi for almost 15m. The right hand side crash bar slightly bent but it saved my legs. Needless to say I was ever so slightly shocked and pissed at the same time. With adrenaline rushing I chased after the idiot and when I tried to stop him to 'meet and greet', the fcker proceeded to rush towards me. No number plates, overloaded etc. So I got out of his way.

Be that as it may I survived this round and acquired a few ball bearings and two old spark plugs which are now in my jacket pocket. Hopeful that there is not ever a next time - but if so a windscreen or radiator will meet a spark plug at 80+ km/h.

giphy-downsized.gif
Now back to this thread, and I don't know if it could be related but since I have been hearing this "scratching sound". Almost like a rear mudguard that scratches against a tyre. Especially when cornering or when accelerating from stand still. I could not see anything, my chain is always lubricated and the brake pads seemed fine but still I would hear this "scratching sound". Yesterday my kiddo was "pillioning" and we heard it even more. So, eventually I stopped at a mate and we saw the rear sprocket was a bit loose. Initially thinking it was the cush/damper rubbers in the rear wheel hub. I phoned around and 4 little rubbers cost R1500+ and are hard to find. I drove home and on my way stopped at another friend (as the sound got worse) who also checked and he suggested; lets take the back wheel off just to check and whala!

1725518148784.png1725518159179.png

I'm sure the impact of last week was not the cause, but just weird that the noise was only evident since.
Replaced the bearing (what was left of it) and now the bike purrs like a kitten again.

Latest posts