Camelbak vs Kriega

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the_wes

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
Harley Davidson (all models)
The time has come for a new hydration pack. My Fox pack has served me well, but is getting a little old now, and only holds 2l. I want to upgrade, and I'm looking for the following:

1. more capacity (3l is good)
2. a little more storage space - I'm tired of having to use a bum bag as well just to carry a few odds and ends
3. easy to fill and clean

The contenders are:

Option 1: Camelbak Lobo
Price: R1 050

0881243e57e345fa8a016be.jpg

What I like:
- 3l capacity
- external fill (just lift the flap and voila) and big "opening", easy to clean and throw ice into
- typical great camelbak bite valve and bladder / tube quality and setup
- 3.3l storage space - conveniantly placed (couple of pouches plus mesh pockets)
- "Air Director" mesh back system designed to promote airflow against your back and stay cool
- many accessories available like tube insulation and bite valve cover - essential for keeping liquid cool and keeping dust out your mouth

What I don't like:
- nothing

Read more at https://www.camelbak.com

Kriega Hydro 3
Price: R1100

hydro.jpg

hydharn2.jpg

What I like:
- 3l capacity
- "roll top" closure for the bladder makes it easy to clean and fill - can reverse the whole bag
- Kriega's "Quadloc Lite" harness system - looks lank comfortable
- ability to expand by adding 5l or 10l Kriega packs
- valve system that means you can disconnect the tube quickly and easily, even when bladder is full
- insulated tube
- lifetime guarantee

What I don't like:
- 1l of storage space
- not mad about the bite valve, but considering it has a lifetime guarantee

Read more at: https://www.kriega.com/pages_sa/hydro3/hydro-topframeset.html

Currently I am leaning towards the Camelbak - the storage layout is great and I love the Camelbak bite valves, tubes and bladders and the convenience of external fill. But the Kriega has what seems like a fantastic harness system and looks like it will be really comfortable, plus the fact that the bladder opens across the whole top end and can be reversed which makes it lank easy to clean.

Another advantage of the Kriega is the fact that if you have a Kriega US-5 or US-10 tailpack, you can bolt it onto the Hydro 3 to expand it's storage capacity.

hydro51.jpg

I might be buying one of the tail packs in the near future, so that's a useful feature, but I've never been a fan of carrying too much on my back, plus it'll be a while before I buy it. Also the fact that the Kriega only has 1l storage as standard against the Camelbak's 3l is dissapointing.

So at the moment, I'm leaning towards the Camelbak, with a secret desire to actually buy the Kriega, because, let's be honest, it's kinda cool. I'll be making a plan to check out the Kriega in the flesh this weekend, until then, what say you guys? Opinions?

(note: please don't tell me I'm spending too much. I am aware that there are cheaper options. I bought a cheaper option - the Fox pack that I'm replacing. Cheap = just over a year of use, plus a broken bite valve withing the first 6 months)