Cape Infanta Newbie Daytrip

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carrol

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW F650GS / Dakar
So ChrisL and Amanda invite me to go with them to Cape Infanta on Sunday. Craig and Erna go along. ChrisL BMW GS1200, Amanda BMWf650GS, Carrol (me) BMWF650GS, Craig BMW 1150GS and Erna BMW f650GS.

We start from Riversdale Wimpy at 9:30. No, we did not get Wimpy coffee or the better version Mega Wimpy Coffee shake.  We travel on tar till after Heidelberg, take the Witsand turn-off, still on tar and then the Malgas turn-off, dirt road.

ChrisL is leader, Craig 2nd, then Erna, then me and Amanda is sweeper.  The dirt road is decent, a little loose gravel here and there but very, very nice. I realize very early on that I have no back brake but I think it's because of my warn brake pads (newbie). I don't realize the brake is suppose to grip even if there is only little brake pad on, I think that warn out brake pad means no brake.

We reach Malgas:
Malgas3.jpg

Photos have been taken with my BB. Before the trip I looked for my camera in it's bag and the camera bag is empty. House is being revamped so the camera can be anyware, I did not search for it.

Malgas is very  beautiful and I liked riding onto the ferry.

We then go to Malgas shop where there is sort of a little restaurant, we are not sure. There certainly are seats. Prices reasonable, portion not. Breakfast is strictly served until 12:00 and you can order nothing else before then. They bake bread that smells very nicely but did not buy any.

There we meet two KTM riders, also Wilddogs. I forgot their names but one had a flat. Because it's KTM our BMW tyres won't fit. I deduct from the talking that KTM has a '19inch tyre and BMW a 17 or 18 inch.

We continue on dirt to Cape Infanta.
Infanta.jpg

On our way back, on the ferry, we meet another Wilddog:
Malgas7.jpg

There are also two other riders, one on a Honda and one on a BMW with a 4x4 as support. They are looking for a place to stay and ChrisL suggests they follow us to Witsand.

Witsand Hotel is lovely. Best rates and excellent service. They make a mean coffee double thick milkshake and their snack basket is just that, a lovely snack at a good price.

The view is wonderful.

Enroute to Witsand I see a motorbike numberplate in the road and realise it must be Erna's. I stop. Kick out the stand and let the bike go, but alas, there is no stand. Down goes the bike and I drop with it. Luckily, the sweeper, Amanda is there to help me pick up the bike. We leave the numberplate.

Our followers in the 4x4 pick up the numberplate and give it to us in Witsand. Erna is very relieved. From Witsand we travel on dirt to Riversdale and ChrisL and Amanda to Stilbay.

All in all we did 235km and it was very enjoyable.

..................... en kyk dan nou vir hierdie lekker "short and sweet" ride report wat tannie Carrol hier vir ons opdis  :thumleft: :thumleft:

It was a great day to be on the bike Carrol. :thumleft:

Thank you for the short RR - Capetownians are really blessed!

Gosh. 3 trips in December??? Well done. Must be a school teacher, one of those on permanent holiday!!!!!