Cape to ... Europe

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sweetrolls

Puppy
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS Adventure
Greetings all,

I am in the middle stages of planning my trip from Cape Agulhas to ... well hopefully Northern Europe(perhaps north scotland for FB check in you know :))

Plan is to leave around April/May of 2017 from South Africa.

2011 BMW R1200GSA. I have been contacted by one member of this forum who wants to join in on the journey.

Here's my plan so far, please help me out with few sticky points,
South Africa, Zambia, Malawi, Tanzania, Rwanda, Uganda, Kenya, Ethiopia, Sudan , Egypt....

Sticky Point #1 - Egypt to Turkey (is that possible at all?)
...or Egypt tp Israel .... it seems that no bikes are allowed in Sinai and/or over the canal? Maybe someone knows more?

..or, Port Sudan to Saudi, to Jordan, to Israel and then some place else.

Biggest concern now is exiting africa in some fashion :) but i;d love to see Jordan and Israel ... have been to Egypt few years back

Once in Turkey or Greece, make my way around ... north-ish

Sticky point #2 Sudan/Ethiopia Visa. I am British passport holder.
I have 2 passports. Seems Ethiopian Visa can be secured in South Africa before departure... and hopefully it has enough time to enter the country at resemble time frame.
Sudan ... bit if sh*t show... i'll need to leave my second passport wth friends in London and they would send it in for Visa about a month or so after i leave SA. Sudanese visa takes time to be issues an is only valid for 60 days after issue.

Perhaps someone has recently got Sudanese visa in Adis, or Nairobi... or some other place.. especially would be awesome to know if it was on say... British passport :)

someone pasted this on HUBB
"Consider getting a Sudanese Transit visa instead of a tourist visa - much easier and I found adequate time to cross the country and see the sights. These are valid for 2 weeks and available within 24 hours at the Embassy in Addis Abbaba (where I suggest you also get your Egyptian visa - 3 days)"

anyone has any comments if that is still a viable option?

Sticky point #3 (perhaps only at this point)
situation around Lalibela , Gondar etc. seems like there was some unrest there... but nothing nightmarish

Sticky point #4
I assume riding all the way through Europe ... UK is not putting me in "danger" of paying some sort of import taxes/duties etc upon entering say UK or any european countries?
Do i need some sort of insurance(carnet sort of thing) to be able to ride europe ?

Would love to connect with someone that might be keen on doing some of this journey ... or all... or perhaps someone recommends people to become friends that are near Cape Town so that i can learn from their experiences.

So there you have it.

Route is more or less clear... only can i get to egypt and exit decently ... or should i go to Port Sudan ...

The last question is timing. Whilst i said april/may.... i could leave earlier... much earlier ... i just can't clearly figure out rain seasons... it sees to me that i would be caught right in the middle of rains if i was to leave in February for example ... in kenya, uganda/rwanda ... perhaps someone can led a helping hand.

So, do i wait till april ... or leave sooner :)
and... do i push for egypt and go from there.. or Port Sudan to Saudi/Jordan/Israel and then onward.

Thank you all in advance for your time and consideration, i appreciate any words of wisdom and advice.

Roland