Cape Town to Kampala and back!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hinksding said:
(jullet darem baie mooi diplomaties gepraat voor die kamera daar by die potholes)

Haha, ons het maar die meeste van die hard praat vir die grensposte gelos!  Daai manne kan nogal n mens se geduld toets!!

Any advice on how to find out when the MV Liemba leaves Mpulungu for Kigoma. I am planning a trip there end of July. Lekker

Best is to speak to Charity at Nkupi Lodge in Mpulungu. She knows a bit of everything that goes on in town. Nkupi Lodge is also the best spot to overnight..we stayed there for 2 nights. Charity updated us every now and then of the whereabouts of the Liemba. 

It will be good to have a plan b..some weeks the Liemba is used to repatriate refugees from Congo..other times it comes early on a Saturday and leave by lunchtime..or arrive by lunch and leave by sunset. TIS!

Oh and once you have permission from the captain to load your bike..book yourself a "1st class" cabin. It consists of a bunkbed and a wash basin. U will b stuck on the Liemba for at least 2 days..except for the roof of the Liemba, it will b the only place you will have some peace..also to lock up your belongings..best is to take everything strapped onto the bike off.

Also strap your bike into a corner..on busy trips people tend to move things around in order to fit cargo.

Other than that..enjoy..it will certainly be an adventure!

Dit lyk ongelooflik! thanks vir die video, amazing
Self besig om nou 'n trip te beplan Tanzania, Malawi ens.

@gasman.  Die beplanning is amper net so lekker soos die trip self.  Sal graag weer Malawi en Tanzania wil doen!

Great RR.

Murphy and I are leaving in 42 days time - Nam / Zam / Mal / Zim. Cannot wait.

Do you have a packing list that you would consider sharing, showing the absolute essentials? Murphy is adamant that he wants load a spare set of tyres? I can understand that, as none of us want to be stranded with a badly cut tyre. Any thoughts on that?

Any other info you care to share will be greatly appreciated.

Great RR.  I did a similar trip here: https://mzee-jaki.blogspot.com/2009/10/everyone-has-dream.html

@Difflock and Daskop

I have a full trip report here including modifications and a pack list at the bottom of the page:

https://blog.wrphoto.co.za/1/post/2011/07/cape-town-to-kampala-and-back.html

Re the tyres.  We originally considered carrying one tyre each, one front and one back.  In the end we settled with gators, puncture repair kits and extra tubes.  On my next big trip I will do exactly the same.  On big trips like these you have to look after your tyres.  An not only your tyres.. in general you have to take it a bit easier and not take any chances... a bad fall or a big breakdown and all your planning, time, money, potential memories down the drain.

@Mzee, thanks for your link, I will check it out!

Sommer lekker gekyk en gelees. Dankie

I see that you listed 3rd party insurance on your list. Did you take it out in RSA? If so, where? Was it accepted everywhere?

We were told that you buy that at the border of each country.

You're right, its best to buy 3rd party insurance at the border.  Shop around at the border.. they usually try to rip you off. 

Eventually we got so gatvol of these expenses.. wherever we were not forced to buy 3rd party, we skipped it.  Yes, at times we had to present the 3rd party insurance to authorities, but then we only presented our normal comprehensive insurance letter we got from BMW insurance, stating the countries we were travelling through, telling them that we organised our 3rd party in South Africa already, and this is the letter.  Worked every time! ;)

Great Story and great pictures.  :thumleft:

Latest posts