Carb settings

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bonova

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 950 Adventure S
OK - I'm looking for opinions on this please from the people with some experience and knowledge.......
Here's the story:
I have a 950 - 2004 with after market pipe (scorpion....quite loud) and the carb was not changed at all when the pipe was fitted. It popped alot on deceleration and i was concerned about it being too lean so i put on a unifilter prefilter for my last trip cause i couldn't get the bike tuned before i left..... The popping is less after the prefilter was added, and i want to keep the pre-filter on. From what i understand it's fairly restrictive....
I know that i should get my 950 dyno tuned to get it 100% right, but it's a little frustrating here in durban......
All the KTM dealers have a different story ref aftermarket pipes etc and needle settings / air screw settings etc, and none of them quite agree but they all say something like - raise the needles one clip...or screw out the air screw 1/2 turn etc etc. When i add in the fact that there is a pre-filter, i get alot of umming and arring...

I've done a bit of searching and can't find any consensus really.....
The bike gets very similar fuel economy to a 990 i ride with.

Now Until i can get it tuned properly - what do i do? (i'm at sea level)
1: leave as is assuming the prefilter negates the effect of the pipe.
2: raise the needles one clip to be safe?
3: raise the needles and screw out the air-screw

4: shut the hell up and ride it till it breaks and then cry in my soup
5: ride it to Cape town and get it dyno'd there

thanks  :thumleft: