Got a 2024 KTM 500 EXC, now what

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YoungGSer

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Hi all,

I finally taken the plunge and moved over to the plastics after many years riding 1200 GS (Land Barge). I absolutely loved the GS but I am really exited to explore more remote parts on this weapon below. I have a few questions for those that have been riding then over the last few years and would appreciate any tips, tricks or links to similar threads that would help me with the inevitable farkeling that is about to commence (Please forgive my ignorance with some of the points below). The bike is located in PE area so ideally I would like to support local okes with any accessories I buy/services required, but I am based in the UK and have family in the US so can sort bits from there if needs be. I will mainly be using the bike for day rides but I am also eyeing up a longer Namibia trip later next year.

Suspension:
I weigh about 93kg bone dry in my birthday suit, so probably north of 105kg with full riding kit on and I am reasonably tall (190cm). From what I have read, the EXC Is a little undersprung for bigger guys so what is recommended to make the suspension work best. New springs, revalving etc?

Engine/Filters
I don't plan to make any internal engine upgrades and the bike will come with an akro pipe so more looking for tips regarding filters and fuel management. Do I need to make any mods to the standard filter to make it more reliable, filter cage, socks, different oils etc? Dust kills engines so really want a reliable system. Fuel filters - are the standard ones up to the task of the dirty fuel we often get or should I change out to something more robust. Are pre filters in the tank a good idea?
Oil and fluids - do guys stick to the Swiss liquid gold that is Motorex or also use something that doesn't require a kidney to be sold at each service?

Tyres
Looks like the bike comes with Metzler on as standard(not sure which model) are these any good? recommendations on a longish lasting tyre that still provides good grip for softer conditions mixed with high speed dirt.

Tubes/Mouses
I am really keen on having a fuss free riding experience so would prefer to move away from tubes and I am happy to throw a bit money at the exercise so looking for ideas on what the ideal solution would be. I hear tubeless system is good but can be a mission if you get a flat on the high pressure tube part. I like the idea of mouses but know they degrade with lots of heat. Are Nitro mouses still good or are there better options now? The bike would not be used on the street much other than riding out to trails and I wouldn't hammer it along tar anyway.

Protection:
Bike comes with the standard 6-days bits but what other essential bits should I get, rear brake cover, radiator braces, clutch cover etc? It comes with plastic hand guards but I can see a set of wrap arounds would probably be better. Protection can be a bit of rabbit hole so I am mostly looking for the bits that are essential without weighing the bike down too much.

GPS/Electrical
I previously had an integrated GPS on my GS that worked well but I know GPS tech has moved on in the last few years and smart phones can do most of the bits that a GPS can. I am looking for a simple to install and mount, reliable option to load mapping software on that doesn't cost millions of ZAR. It will largely be used to plot some routes and display a map for situational awareness.
Are the headlights on the 2024 model any good? I don't plan on riding at night but in the future it might be needed on longer trip/in case of unexpected delays.

Comfort/contact points
Grips/handlebars - The standard grips are making my paper pushing hands sore just looking at them. Should I change out to a thicker foam style grips. Handlebars, are guys raising them for more comfort when standing? Especially for the taller guys.
Seat, looks hard but will likely be fine for the day trips but I might change to something more comfortable for longer trips. Does this require a whole new seat or are there options to have a new foam section modelled.
Pegs - any issues with the standard ones?

Luggage
Will cross the touring luggage bridge when I get to it so mostly looking for suggestions on small day packs, fender packs etc that are good to keep a few tools, chocolate bars, beer money in.

As always, I really appreciate the vast knowledge base on this forum and welcome any recommendations. 46132e34-2a16-47b9-b290-1a6960ff383e.jpg