CB750 Brat

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wezzz

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
AJS (all models)
Hi guys.

I purposely have NOT been logging onto Gumtree for the past 2 months.

After doing 3 full bike builds back-to-back (whilst juggling family, work and my plans to move to the USA), I convinced myself I was tired and I needed a break!

A while back, someone here in town saw a couple of my bikes on the net (and Instagram) and contacted me. They basically had a CB750 project standing in their workshop that needed to be completed.

I went round one weekend to have a look and was pleasantly surprised to see a decent bike, some good styling/design, a bunch of cool imported parts and 80% of the hard graft already done  :biggrin:

I told them I would do it, but never committed to a date.

Anyway... I got a call last week and agreed to have the bike dropped off at my place on Sat morning.

This guy is cool.

He basically said to me "Take as long as you like, do WHATEVER you like" and he gave me a decent budget too... perfect customer I would say!

I don't build bikes for other people, only myself... I have a full-time job and quite honestly I would rather fill my garage up with bikes than have to part with them for an exchange of money.

So far, the following has been done:

The bike frame has been chopped, a rear-loop already welded in and powder coated.

Wheels have been powder coated and a set of 'vintage' Firestone tyres fitted.

Tank has been resprayed (customer said I can repaint if I like, but I'm digging the red)

Battery has been relocated under the bike (apparently a bolt on part imported from the USA + some fancy battery under there too?)

The bike has a small headlight, universal speedo, Renthal bars and brown GT grips.

Engine has been painted black (quite a good job) and 4 x pod filters fitted to the carbs.

Rear Hagon Shocks fitted (might be a little too short coz the stance isn't quite right)

Small indicators are on there, ignition relocated (next to carbs) and a powder-coated seat pan in place.

I got a bunch of parts with bike too... spare rear-loops, spare seat-pans, spare fenders and a box of stuff that I have no idea what do do with  ;D

The plan of action:

CLEAN!!!! bike has been standing like this in a warehouse for 24 months or so (they make furniture inside so you can imagine how much sh*t is all over this thing!)

Seat... recovered in a nice, brown material that matches the GT grips (brat-style of course)

Wiring... indicators, start button and brake/running lights (need to still decide whether to do side mount or off the rear-loop)

Carbs... leaking! If you open the tap... they piss fuel everywhere. Haven't checked the float level yet but I'm guessing they should be stripped, cleaned and rebuilt!

Maybe play with suspension a little. Either the front has to drop or rear must go up... will see when the seat is done.

Brakes need to be flushed and bled and given a once over (front forks too!)

Not sure what to do with the exhaust just yet. It has a 4 into 1 system (standard?) ... and I see on the net that quite a few guys run them without a muffler!? Will decide as it starts coming together.

THEN... magic! The bike is gonna need some proper TLC to finish it off properly... my speciality! All the small things need tidying up (wiring, fasteners, repainted controls, new mirrors, polishing of parts etc)

I think this will be fun. My 1st 4-cylinder attempt... I have only done singles and twins in the past! I will prob have quite a few questions, especially when it comes to those darn CV carbs!

who on the WDF is the CB750 guru... COZ I WANT HIS NUMBER  :biggrin: :biggrin:

Here are a few pics..

Attachments

• cb3 (Medium).jpeg
    cb3 (Medium).jpeg
    109.8 KB · Views: 293
  • cb2 (Medium).JPG
    cb2 (Medium).JPG
    120.4 KB · Views: 296
  • cb5 (Medium).JPG
    cb5 (Medium).JPG
    77.6 KB · Views: 293