Cederberg ride - hard & minimalistic: KTM & BMW eat your hearts out!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lecap

Bachelor Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Suzuki DR650
Proof again that less is often more:

Less power gets you further and a humble and environment friendly ride will get you places the main battle tanks of the LC8 and R-GS leage only deam of.

We were truly blessed to have access to some private land in the Cederberg Conservancy, we went onto a ride on the farm with consent and guided by the owners, twee spoor, single track and sometimes no track at all.

Our choice of rides was humble, no racing pedigree and no blue & white propeller emblem on the flank. The call of the day was relaxed travelling although it was occasionally done in highly technical terrain.

Whilst I initially thought the trip would be suitable for pretty much every ride of choice we should learn better soon.

After only a few hundred metres of fast and good gravel we turned off into the olive groves and faced a rocky, loose hillclimb into the plantation. Our trusty steeds managed without even lending them a hand to keep them on the right way, as if they knew which way to go.

The terrifying climb soon gave way to some scenic but bumpy single track into the mountains following the outskirts of the olive grove to its top.
There we turned into the fynbos which seemed without path or trail.

Our trusty steeds again managed to find their way without hesitation, sure footed through thick sand and past big bunches of reeds, and without a stumble over rocks and across a number of small streams.
Climbs and descends were a breeze, managed only with a little bit of weight shift and always remember to relax, flex and be one with your ride!  :thumleft:

Admittedly there was a fart audible here and there and I think our rides occasionally leaked a bit too, but I was assured that they are 100% environment friendly and all we left behind was biodegradable.

Sad to say to all you fashionistos and -as out there that, as much as I loved them, our rides did not really constitute the latest fashion statements. According to the owners they only come in various shades of brown, black & grey and occasionally white, washing and scrubbing does not help to reveal any other colour hidden under some Cederberg dust.
There is also only one option of motorisation, one horsepower, with no performance models being available  :-\

Colour schemes at least seem to be persistent, no fear to be outfashioned with last years model.  :thumleft:

Ok, and before you tell me:  :useless:

here we go:

Our guide Rachelle and the noble steeds awaiting us:
Image00001.jpg

Do you want to swap this view for a look onto your GPS screen?
Image00002.jpg

The sandy track above the Grootrivier valley:
Image00005.jpg

Please excuse me for not taking pictures of the plentiful more technical sections but we were on a ride and not a photo shoot  >:D All pics were taken whilst riding.
I also did not really want to push towards giving my ride the chance to brush me off and land me in a mud puddle.  :D

Mrs. Le Cap & Thomas:
Image00007.jpg

We eventually ended up back on the gravel road:
Image00012.jpg

Ride on for a year and you will be at the Equator!

Horses and riders all back and in one piece. And Mrs. Le Cap is still smiling!
Image00014.jpg

Admittedly we were a bit irrespionsible and elected hat & shirt as safety gear. Check the definition of "adventure".
But then we did not really push it so full face helmet & neck brace might have been a little bit over the top?

Mount Ceder offers rides into the mountains and up and down the valley for riders (and non riders!) of ALL skill levels. from one hour to (soon) full day rides.

We'll be back over New Year :thumleft:

Had me for a while :laughing4: :laughing4:

Stunning LeCap............... didn't know you rode ?

At one with nature... is that not what it's all about - nice one  :thumleft:  will have to let Jen know about this one - sure she'll love it!

My first ever ride was the single horsepower :thumleft:

1 horsepower = DR 650 Suzuki..... :biggrin:
Looks lekker, RR with a difference.

Good one, but needles to remind you this is a biking forum, I'm sure you will find horsing around forums on the web as well. :laughing4:

No thanks!

I don't ride anything that has a mind (brain) of it's own (except the fairer sex....).

Have had one to many close calls with those four legged things. I prefer a bike.

Absolutely love it I havent been horse riding for sometime...tks for sharing :thumleft: :thumleft:

horses fart methane - bad for the enviroment  :biggrin:
:imaposer:

Sorry, no brake & clutch, no throttle, no kill switch,  mind of it's own....... me don't ride it :peepwall:

Latest posts