Changing gears with new MX boots.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LeonDude

Bachelor Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Suzuki DR650
There’s been a couple of threads concerning changing gears with new MX boots, and I think I might have finally cracked the code. So here is my theory.

The new MX boot is very stiff, as you will have obviously found out.

Sit on the bike while the bike is standing still and the side stand is out. Obviously, you are now in no danger of falling off. Put your left foot on the footpeg, and try to pull up the gearlever so that you switch it from 1st, past neutral and into second. You will probably immediately realize that this is easier said than doen.
Ok, so here is the trick. Even with heavy duty MX boots, you will notice that while your foot is on the peg, you can actually get the front of your boot under the gearlever. All you have to do now is forget about your toes bringing the gearlever up, because in new MX boots this will be impossible. Instead, press down hard with the heel of your foot. This will cause the whole boot to swivel around the footpeg, and the front of the boot, wich you have put under the gearlever, will push the lever up and into second.
It does take some practise, but the good news is that 1st to 2nd is the most difficult because you have to pass through neutral. From there the rest of the gears are easy.
Hope this can help some of you out there.