Concussion - Please lets have an argument.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LeonDude

Bachelor Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Suzuki DR650
Ok, the subject of concussion has come up again and again and I'd like us to have a discussion about it.
Mark had an off and wrote about it. He seems in pretty good mood, but still, this is not an injury to play with. (Mark, hope you're ok).
When I went down just past the SA border on my way to Lesotho last year I hit my head pretty hard, as is evident (sp?) from the marks on my helmet. Now a lot of us often ride together, but I don't think many of us know the symptoms of concussion. Who of us would know if a fellow rider has concussion after a fall?
Apart from that, we all see ourselves as tough riders, and noboby wants to make a fuss, but where do we draw the line between being tough and being stupid? Please remember here that the person having the concussion does not know it, he's in a world of his own, as I was.
About a month after my off I thought to myself "You had concussion and you now know it, but back then it was all adrenaline and hey, who wants to keep up the the other riders?" (Please don't think I'm pointing a finger at my fellow riders that day, they did more than I could have wished for to make sure I made it home safe.)
So please people, help me out with a discussion and a serious argument here. When do we decide that a mate should not ride, and tell him so? I know that the best thing to cure the big scare after an off is to get back on and ride, but when are we, and our buds, being stupid?

Please, argue.

Uncle