Covering all the seasons

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DEON 1190

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 1190 Adventure
Covering all the seasons is not a easy task and can be expensive . But if one plans it well then its possible .
Would like to share my journey with you and you can benefit from the mistakes I made . I have been in the bike industry for over 35 years and have a fair knowledge of the riding gear available , not as good as the guys working with it every day , but can help myself and with google to look at reviews its way easier these days not to make to big a mistake .
In our country we have 4 seasons that can overlap big time , from super hot to freezing and every thing in between .I started off with a nice jacket that had a rain ling as well as a thermal lining , same with the pants , Jacket worked sort of , and pant was way to warm in summer . winter it was ok . After getting soaked in a rain ride I realized my mistake and the journey to fix the problem started .
I needed to buy waterproof kit , Jacket and pant that does not need a rain liner , I liked the Branded kit , so it was KTM POWER WEAR for me , but new its expensive , so checked market place every day . Found a Jacket nearly new , bought pants from a dealers bargain bin . Sold some of my kit that did not make the grade and bought a new jacket and pant set .
But also learnt some things while prepping for a winter ride . As one need to layer , a jacket that fits just right for summer /autumn rides will not have space to fit layers under it , as luck would have it , My nearly new - used jacket was a XXL , a bit big but with space to add layers and still be comfortable , same with the pant , was a 38 to start with , had them tailored , but could not cut it down to a 34 , so maybe a 35.5 . but with space to wear layers underneath and still be comfortable .
This sorted out my winter kit .
My new set is for Summer and Autumn touring , so those seasons sorted . 3 covered !
Last I thought a airflow set would be a nice addition , Bought a new KTM breeze jacket on special and on a previous market place purchase I got a airflow pant as part of the parcell , sold the jacket as it was a bit big , pant needed to go back on market place , but with the new Breeze jacket its a good match , can zip together and very similar material . So hot summer sorted , must admit , not yet tried ,
And finally I have a set for breakfast run rides , Think there will be cross over times , but in all I think all the bases are now covered !
As mentioned I have bought used , I make sure goods are in good condition , and first thing is to wash them , then customize with my armour to make sure the fit is good .
Base layer ( thermal ) I purchased of Temo , good value for money . Thermal socks from Dischem .

One huge mistake I made was to have riding pants shortened , found that its not required as when sitting on the bike the pant tends to pull up a bit , bring the knee guards up to the correct place , and the pant still not suiting to high up on the boot .

What I am trying to share with the long story is that its in most cases better options to buy the higher priced waterproof item than making do with the cheaper one . For winter a one size up is the way to go . yes its a extra jacket to own . but as you only wear it in winter it lasts and your summer jacket gets a rest . having a 3rd for casual rides saved the other for your longer adventures .