Croco Cruz

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grootseun

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW F800GSA
I olnly realized that the crocodile rive stretches further than just the hartebeestpoort dam, while driving to friends of our’s game farm near bela-bela. When most people drive to bela-bela they take the booooooooooooring highway. I opted for the more “adventurous” route of the R511/0 on the other side of Brits, that is when i saw that the crocodile river stetches through the bushveld, and on to Thabazimbi.
While having a look around my “valley” where i live, i noticed that the crocodile river starts above the Nelson mandela botanical gardens. We often go there as a family, and the kids love it. There is an impressive waterfall and some Black eagle nests. A short distance above this waterfall is the origin of the crocodile river.
I plotted the route in mapsource to follow the river a close as i can, to where it joins the Marico River, that eventaully becomes the Limpopo river. The route worked out to about 350km one way. Which means i was looking at about a 700km round trip.
I looked at the distance and thought it may be a good indication of the timing i will be facing when travelling to the bash, in one day. There is more or less the same amount of tar to dirt ratio in my Route to boegoeberg.
The day dawned for my trip, and after my wife made me quite paranoid about travelling this route alone, i decided to post a planned route in case of emergency.
My GPS had sunrise at 6:10am. My bike and i was ready, we hit the road at 6am.
croco_3.jpg

6:10 my bike and i was ready to roll, after quickly picking up bread and milk for the wife and kids from the garage. I set off to find the start of the crocodile river.
I had these ideas of the water bubbling out from the rocks and merrily flowing all the way down throught the hills etc. This is as close as i got.
croco_5.jpg

Majestic gates. Somewhere on the other side of this property is the origin...
So much for getting up close and personal. I rode up to Ontdekkers road, where i could get a picture of the aparent origin of the crocodile river. The altidude is around 1750m
croco_6.jpg

croco_7.jpg

I got to quite a nice lookout point just above the botanical gardens.
croco_4.jpg

This is the view from the top of the waterfall (taken on a previous trip to the gardens.)
croco_2.jpg

The river then makes its way through the gardens all the way to the Hartebeestpoort dam. I did not spend too much time documenting this, as it is a well known area that i have ridden a thousand times, mostly i want to get it over and done with, as it is on the other side of the dam, that the fun starts.
I crossed the dam wall and throught brits (do they only speak english in Brits???), i followed the road (and the river) towards Thabazimbi. At this stage the road is all tar, and it is what makes a DS bike awesome, not having the logistical nightmare of a trailer etc.
A Couple of km’s after brits i turned of the main road, here I crossed the Cocodile river.
croco_10.jpg

Then right onto some more tar. I saw a petrol station and decided to fill up. I still had about 200km to do, and i was unsure about fuel around my destination (lack of planning)
Bought a coke and a packet of chips (padkos for later)
The dirt road skirts the main tar closely, and low and behold, greenery, almost like in the cape, just not as green and without the mountains...but still not too shabby for the highveld just after winter.
croco_11.jpg

croco_12.jpg

I had my packet of chips and drank my coke. A nice looking “boeremeisie” passed in a 4x4 bakkie and waved enthusiastically, with a big smile...i almost choked on the chips in my mouth...
Very pretty:
croco_13.jpg

Onwards i pushed. The road follows the river in fairly close proximity, farmlands between the road and the river is the norm.
There are 2 dams that the crocodile river flows into and out again, lots of birdwatchers crowding the bridges..
croco_9.jpg

croco_8.jpg

The farms gets left behind, and the private game reserves start appearing, loooong disrt highways and bone dry bush.
croco_14.jpg

croco_15.jpg

Going north, i passed Thabazimbi to the left, a lovely piece of road, with the mountains being destroyed by the mines to the left and right. Such a shame.
The temperature rose drastically, it felt like someone was blowing hot air into my helmet with a hairdryer. The roads are badly corrucated, with a soft sand “middel-mannetjie” that is high. Slower than 90km/h and it feels like the mechanical bull is gonna chuck you off any second. Speed up and its managable. There was some hard-pack patches between the soft sand that has essentially become a tweespoor road from endless farm bakkies travelling the roads.

Not far from my destination, i came to this bridge. It is the last croco-crossing of the day.
croco_16.jpg

Lovely, there was even a slightly cooler breeze over the river, but i am sure it was my imagination.
The other side:
croco_17.jpg

And a poser:
croco_18.jpg

I wanted to stay here a while longer, but i was on a tight schedule.
One last piccy of my faithfull steed:
croco_19.jpg

Then i pushed forward to my goal for the day: to see where the crocodile river joins the marico river to form the limpopo.
I was on the border of SA and botswana. And this only about 350kms from my door.
After a 20 minute ride, the GPS shows that i have arrives at my destination, and low and behold, the trip started with a gate... and ended with one.....disapointing to say the least.
croco_20.jpg

The road forward towards more farms that skirt the limpopo.
croco_21.jpg

I turned around.
My route planning stopped right here. I had about 200kms of fuel left, and i was not sure which way i was going to take home. I checked for the nearest fuel on my GPS, and it’s only 3km’s away....in botwsana.
Just after the last bridge there was a small petrol station i rode there only to find a sign stating: No diesel, No petrol, the shop was closed... no nothing.
I pointed my GPS to thabazimbi only a few kms away. Filled up while being stared at like an alien...

Took the tar home, stopped at beestekraal stasie for 2 Zamaleks nice place.
Got home just before 3pm.

What a day. Awesome riding, on my ace.
GPS Stats:
croco_1.jpg

PS. I love my Dakar.

Nice ride!

I'm not sure I agree on the origin of the river though. The Jukskei river and Sesmylspruit (also known as the Hennops river) converge and, as far as my knowledge goes, from about this convergence is known as the crocodile. It flows from there to the Hartebeespoort dam.
Just before it hits the dam there is a place called "Roos se Oord". If memory serves there is a sign posted on the bridge stating it's the crocodile, so I don't think it starts at a spring.

Just my 2c though.
I would like to do that route, it looks great.

Thanks for bringing your trip to us - nice RR and pics!  :thumleft:
Greetings

LeonDude said:
Nice ride!

I'm not sure I agree on the origin of the river though. The Jukskei river and Sesmylspruit (also known as the Hennops river) converge and, as far as my knowledge goes, from about this convergence is known as the crocodile. It flows from there to the Hartebeespoort dam.
Just before it hits the dam there is a place called "Roos se Oord". If memory serves there is a sign posted on the bridge stating it's the crocodile, so I don't think it starts at a spring.

Just my 2c though.
I would like to do that route, it looks great.

LD, what you say about hennops and jukskei is correct, but before the convergence, the much smaller crocodile river starts justr above the botanical gardens...according to mapsource. There is not much onfo on the internet about this river.

Lekker Jakes! Mooi fiets, ek sê...

Nice RR!

Any chance you can post the GPS route?

Nice one

Are the pumps at Rooibokkraal stil "out of order" ? When we passed there the shop was closed and the pumps "out of order" & No Fuel signs.... But then it was a public holiday..  ???

Some nice scenic roads there!! Good one :thumleft: