Dakar venting pro short jacket

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

droffarc

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Honda NC750X
I thought you may be interested in my new jacket, from Leather Forever.

https://www.leatherforever.co.za/main/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=138

When I first saw it I liked it! It has tough (1000 denier Nylon) silver cordura on the top of the arms and shoulders. I am talking cool here. Not being dark / black, it reflects much of the sun’s heat, rather neat! The body zips off leaving you with a net effect, but retaining the CE armor with back protector. So for a summer jacket that the air blows through, this one is for you. The cordura mesh material is black, which is on the underside. This makes sense to me, allowing the sweat to evaporate by drawing the sun’s rays and the airs for cooling times.

DJack.JPG

DJack_%281%29.JPG

Leaving the waterproof body zipped on will keep you warm for winter in the Cape, although you may want to wear an under-jacket where it is colder.

The jacket fits snugly with adjusting snaps for skinny arms. I wear mine in the middle setting. The cuffs also have a Velcro closing so that you can adjust the air flow to your armpits with the body on – snug for winter, loose for summer. There are waist adjusting straps on both the body and the mesh and the jacket is not too short on the hind side. The elbow and shoulder armor seems to sit in just the right place, imparting a feeling of confidence in the event of an off.

Reflective piping keeps you visible in the gloom of darkness.

I bought mine at the beginning of summer and was a little disappointed - in the weather! – it was cool all the way to January, when we had a few hot days. The result was that I wore the jacket with the body still on and when it became warm I slid the collarbone zips down to the shoulder. This produced a pleasantly cool current of air flow which is adjustable. The effect is that standing still you sweat a bit, but hot air rises up out of the jacket through the open zips, and then you move off and the air - flow cools you down. Either the weather was unusually cool, or this is one unusually cool jacket!

DJack_%282%29.JPG

For pockets, it has four pockets on the outside – two zip-up waterproof pockets in the body and in the mesh are two similar zip-up pockets. The pockets in the mesh are not easily accessible when the body is in place. So if you have hidden secrets secrete them in the mesh but don’t put anything mushy there, it may get messy.

DJack_%283%29.JPG

On the inside there is a deep zip-up mesh pocket on the left and on the right a cell phone pocket with a Velcro closure as well as a large pocket for keeping ID, passport etc. also with a Velcro closing.

DJack_%284%29.jpg

DJack_%285%29.JPG

The short neck is fleece lined for soft comfort. The body features adjustable draw strings to exclude the nasty drafts in the after shafts.
DJack_%286%29.JPG

But wait! There is more! Although the body is waterproof, except – in my experience - at the collarbone zips, but that is to be expected, a heavy-duty waterproof jacket, separate from the jacket, to be worn on the inside, is also part of the package! This jacket can be used on its own as a rain jacket when not riding – I have done so and it works well. It has a zip and a Velcro closer and there are loops in the main jacket and on the outside of the rain jacket that keeps it all together. The cuffs are elasticized.

DJack_%287%29.JPG

DJack_%288%29.JPG

So it is good for summer and winter. Getting too hot – zip the body off and store in your luggage till needed. Raining – haul out the rain jacket and off you go!

I love dual purpose things, don’t you?

Pros: Neat summer and winter with armor and rainwear. The zips have nice big handles so you can manhandle them. The front zip can open from the bottom also.
Cons: A tad heavy to carry around instead of wearing – light armor isn’t worth its weight. The pockets are on the small side. I tend to be very aware of the back protector pressing against my back – “posture!-posture! I know, don’t slouch!”