DIY Dakar screen improvement

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

growweblaar

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW F800GS
The first thing I changed on my Dakar was the windscreen: the standard (2004, smoked) one deflected the wind from my chest, but shot it directly at my head. This created terrible buffeting which was unbearable on longer rides. I tried earplugs, but still not good enough. Then I fitted the Kappa screen, which made a difference, but not as much as I had hoped (at least it was clear, so I could hunch behind it, if needed).

I also tried with no screen at all, which was surprisingly pleasant, except that at highway speeds the pressure on my chest had me hanging on to the handlebars :eek:. I've since had a trip on a standard F650GS - with standard short screen: way better than the standard Dakar sreen, but still not quite there...

So, having seen that a lot of the bigger bikes have screens that are much more upright, and also seeing the AeroTrim deflector sell like hotcakes, I decided to try my Kappa screen at a much more acute angle. Does it work? Yes. Much better now: it seems to have shifted the turbulent zone about 30cm upwards, which means I can now cruise at 120 without earplugs. Woopeedoo!

Attached are some pics of my Pooratech modifications. I didn't want to drill new holes in the screen, so I opted for a linking bracket, liberated from an old Meccano set ;). I had to oval the bottom holes a bit with a file, but not so much that the original setup could not be re-instated. Nuts, bolts & washers are all standard M5 thingies from Builder's Warehouse.

Attachments

• Screen1.jpg
    Screen1.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 271
  • Screen inside.jpg
    Screen inside.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 262
  • Screen outside.jpg
    Screen outside.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 258
  • Screen profile.jpg
    Screen profile.jpg