Drakensberg/Sani trip

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LanceSA

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 390 Adventure
We were having a conference at the Drakensberg Sun so I had to choose between flying in to Durban and driving to the Drak Sun or a solo ride from East London. Duh, no brainer. So at 11:00 on the 22nd April, just after one of the biggest cold fronts to hit the country I left for the Berg.

Now if you can get past the sheep, dogs, goats, cows and horses and the taxiâ??s, trucks, busses and manic drivers donâ??t get you, riding thru the Transkei is a scenic experience of note. Stopped for lunch and fuel in Umtata and on to Kokstad. Seems to me every 2nd home in Kokstad is a B&B yet their pricing still high!

That night I started playing with the gps and working out alternate routes â?? big mistake.
Plotted a route to Himeville and then a â??short cutâ?? to Drak Sun.

Well after Himeville I hit the dirt. The first 20km was freshly graded and like riding on marbles. I was on a program and running late but the riding was magnificent and the views breath taking.

Eventually I ducked back to the tar but ended up being 2 hours late and in some trouble. Took the easy route out and blamed the gps but not everyone believed meâ?¦..

Attachments

• start.JPG
    start.JPG
    99.2 KB
  • gravel rd after Himeville.JPG
    gravel rd after Himeville.JPG
    84.4 KB
  • view 1.JPG
    view 1.JPG
    75 KB
  • view 2.JPG
    view 2.JPG
    87.3 KB
On Friday the conference ended. I had booked accommodation at Sani Pass Chalets for the night so I zoomed off to Himeville on the tar. I was not sure how long it would take and was warned that the SA border post closed at 4 pm and the Lesotho at 5. In the end the ride up the pass, after having cleared the SA border, is only about 8 km long. I took about 30 minutes to do it including getting stuck on one of the last corners in the mud and the ice and really battling to get going again.

I had booked into the backpackers which is about 300m from the main building in picture where the pub and dinning area is. I quickly paid the extra to upgrade. The thought of walking/riding back to my bed later that evening didnâ??t excite me one bit. Wise decision.

That evening I met some really great people including a couple from the N.W. province with grown up children that came up on their quads! The weather was freezing. The last 200m of the pass very trick with an x-trail almost not making it and the â??proper 4x4â?? slipping and sliding in the mud and ice on the last couple of bends.

Attachments

• going up Sani.JPG
    going up Sani.JPG
    84.8 KB
  • made it!.JPG
    made it!.JPG
    85.5 KB
  • Sani Top challetes.JPG
    Sani Top challetes.JPG
    82.6 KB
  • ticking off a dream.JPG
    ticking off a dream.JPG
    67.7 KB
  • it was cold!.JPG
    it was cold!.JPG
    81.1 KB
Saturday dawned cold and windy. The Border post suggested that we wait till after 9am for the ice to clear and let a few other vehicles go down before me on the bike.

I approached the decent with great trepidation.  The mud was as slippery as snot and the rocks and ice made it uber tricky. In the end I got down easily with no hassles at all. These photos are after the really difficult bends when I stopped to get my heart rate down and catch my breath. As always the photos do not do justice to how steep and slippery it was.

Riding up Sani has been a dream of mine for many years. I would love to have done it with some maats and the family but vow to go back. It is one of those â??must do before you dieâ?? things.

I then rode home going the top way thru the Transkei, a road Iâ??ve never ridden before. I suggest that you try it some time. Good tar (or dirt if you want), few vehicles on the road and (again) scenery that blows your mind away. We are truly blessed to live in this land and have these wonderful areas to ride in. Cancel my application to Australia. (Actually Iâ??ve never tried.)

This is how a bike should look after a great trip!

Total mileage: 1889 km
Total fuel: 120l
Fuel consumption: 15.76 km/l, 6.34l/100km
Cost: R 1 055
Value: priceless!!!!!!!

Attachments

• adventure1.JPG
    adventure1.JPG
    73.8 KB
  • sunrise.JPG
    sunrise.JPG
    75.7 KB
  • snow,ice & mud 2.JPG
    snow,ice & mud 2.JPG
    84.7 KB
  • at the bottom.JPG
    at the bottom.JPG
    81 KB
  • now that's how a bike should look.JPG
    now that's how a bike should look.JPG
    93.1 KB
Great pics Lance, glad you enjoyed Sani.

Thanks fr posting. Looks great , must plan to do that sometime in my life.

Spanner said:
Stunning photies!!

Jitte, jy nie jou knaters af gevries nie?    ;D

Ek is sy vrou ...... en ek kan beslis se dat hy 100% volledig is toe he terug by die huis aangekom het (en jammer vir die slegte Afrikaans ook!!!!)

Sorry for the hijack by the wife! Will have to change my password.
I am very lucky tho, she allowed me to go and was very happy to see me when I came home.....

Excellent! Those are some really top (scuse the pun) photies! Looks scary and cold man.

BBBBRRRRRrrrr.

Hay LanceSA

Great pic
Sorry did not get to ride while you were up here but bike is still in the shop

Fook man that looks sooo cold but stinning well done  ;D

Good one man! I only been down in my bakkie but its very beautiful up there

Very envious. Cannot believe how cold it was - winter had arrived.
Splash

Nice one Lance ;)  Going there in the next three months ;D Hope to get some snow as well.

Nice ride.  We are back there on Friday, Saturday.  Thanks for sharing!

Great one! Everybody that claims to ride DS, MUST do Sani (and the rest of Lesotho). I'll definitely go back there, but that snow and ice.......nee wat, I'll wait for summer.

Latest posts