DRift HD170 Stealth - Modification

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goose

Grey Hound
WD Supporter
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS Adventure
So with the crap weather today... I decided to strip my Drift and resolve an issue, which in all fairness I see as a design-fault on these units, this being the fact that when you remove or replace the battery - you lose your settings on the unit's internal clock.

REALLY this is a very basic and cheap add-on, which DRIFT could have added to the camera.... :patch:

Anyway - a few bits of info to sort it if you guys have the need to!

1. Buy yourself a 330uf 6.3v Electrolytic Capacitor (small casing) - I used 2 of these in parallel - however only one needed
2. Remove the Battery
3. Remove the 8 x screws holding the casing together
4. Open the unit and you could use a bit of glue (gluestick) to seat the Capacitor inside the housing (see pics)
5. Connect the Negative (-) leg to the Black wire & Positive (+) leg to the Red wire  (in the last pic I have used Grey to depict the Negative connection and Red for the Positive from the Caps to the two power terminals)

Obviously I soldered the connectotions - however you could merely loosen the contact screws and wrap the Capacitor legs around the screw and re-tighten.

The charge that the Cap will hold is enough to keep your settings while the battery is being swapped out...

Hope it's useful info  :thumleft:

Attachments

• IMG_1578.jpg
    IMG_1578.jpg
    153.7 KB
  • IMG_1580.jpg
    IMG_1580.jpg
    112.4 KB
  • IMG_1581.jpg
    IMG_1581.jpg
    97 KB