Drilling a shaft - fitter and turner types - any advice

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr. Python

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Yamaha XT 660 Z
Goal:
I need to make a part for my petrol weedeater. No longer available. When it was you had to buy the whole motor to get that bit.
It is the slot/socket on the motor drive shaft into which the flexible spring shaft slides.
It has an OD of 11mm and OL of 28.5mm.
I need to put an M8 thread with a 1mm pitch in the motor end - the threaded stud on the drive shaft side needs 8mm of depth.
and the remaining 20.5mm is a 5mm square hole for the end of the spring shaft to slide into.

Plan: I have a 11mm round bar (rod from an old shock absorber), I want to drill a 5mm hole down the centre, drill the one end out to 7mm and cut the 8mm thread.
The remaining hole i need to file square with a needle file.

I have a drill press (not good quality) with a vice on the plate, taps and ides, an assortment of grinders drills etc. No lathe... yet

So...?
1. How can I get the friggin drill to go straight down the centre? (to mark the centre, I put the bar in a drill an hold a file against the end, then centre punch the middle) it does not come out in the middle on the exit side.

2. Is there a simpler way to make the hole square. This is take 2 and the filing bit is tedious.

3. Is there a cleverer way to do this job?

Take 1 was to file, manually, 2.5mm square groove in 2 bits of plate weld them together, welded an 8mm threaded bit of round bar on the end. stuck the round end in the drill and held it against the bench grinder at speed to grind it round. the external and the thread is perfect but the square shaft allbeit perfect is off centre. Start again.

I don't have a TV and the wife is asleep by 9ish so this is the sort of thing I do to keep myself out of trouble. Tap Tap "are you asleep sweetie?" only works a few times a week  >:D

I thought of building a mount for the grinder with a fence like an upside down table saw so I can push the bits of plate through at a fixed height.
mmmm.. I could also put a grinder blade in the table saw but i think I might be looking for Kak.  actually this might work... sorry thinking as I type.