Ducati Multistrada / Desert X

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kakiebos

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1150GS Adventure
So, since I’m in the market for something new and maybe different (coming from a R1150GSA), I decided to go past Ducati on Saturday to have a go on the Desert X, since I thought it would be a good idea to sample the “middleweights”.

My boet went along, so he grabbed the Multistrada V4 while I took the Desert X. We swopped bikes a couple of times and did a bit of highway, town riding. I also took the X on a short single track I found. - not from Pretoria, so don’t really know the area.

Now I am impressed by both of these (did not have the intension to test the Multi, but glad I did).

The X had the taller screen, which I found buffeting a bit and had a slight loose head at some point, but other than that, it was great. It felt very surefooted on the single track.

The Multi blew me away, which I did not expect - it does not feel its size on the road, coming from a 1150GSA.

I don’t really know what I want yet and have the 500 to keep me occupied 😀, but these Italians keep popping into my mind.

Never owned a Ducati, so would like to hear from other owners on what it is like to own / maintain / run a Ducati? Reliability? Costs? Serviceability?

On the X the valve service is at 30k and on the Multi 60k.

Cheers