Easy, relaxed WC noob ride...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the_wes

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
Harley Davidson (all models)
15 people in total turned up for our noob ride on Sunday - and what a lekker ride it was. Easy, relaxing gravel all the way from Durbanville to Darling via Riebeek Kasteel with some great scenery - everyone keeping good pace and with no incidents (except a troublesome Funduro who made it all the way nevertheless)...

In attendance were:

dakar - warren ellwood
black f 650 gs - natalie ellwood
red KLR - KLR
green KLR - Rhod
KLE - eikeboom
yellow DRZ - eikeboom's friend
KTM 990 S - ?
KTM 525 - Wayneh
R 80 G/S - Chairman Meow
White Funduro - hotdogcop
XT600 - Soulforge
XT660 - Mr Python
blue DRZ - bus
KTM 640 - missing link
husky te 610 - the_wes

(sorry, I'm terrible with names, please tell me who you were and I'll fill you in).

Some chow and chit chat was had in Darling, with everyone heading home at their leisure. Last to leave were myself and WayneH - who I haven't seen or ridden with in ages. It was agreed - the route home would be along the spoornet service roads / tracks. The pace was perfect, the Husky didn't skip a beat, and it's always good to ride with an old friend - the day was rounded off perfectly.

Thanks to everyone who came and joined in, I hope you guys had fun!

dsc09213d.jpg

dsc09220.jpg

dsc09223.jpg

dsc09225.jpg

dsc09226.jpg

dsc09227e.jpg

dsc09228i.jpg

dsc09233.jpg

dsc09235t.jpg

dsc09236.jpg

dsc09238f.jpg

dsc09241m.jpg

dsc09243i.jpg

dsc09247.jpg

dsc09248a.jpg

At last, my bike's starting to look a little dusty  :deal:

dsc09251.jpg

This  was my 1st official Dirt Ride – Thanks Wes.
the ride from a noobs perspective :)

We all gathered at the Caltex on the cnr in Wellington road mostly on time.
I arrived just in time to see bus making an entrance on the back wheel - looked pretty cool must be a DRZ thing.  :mwink:
It was great to put names and faces to the avitars. I did feel somewhat under dressed when looking at some of the more accomplished members of the squad. There was some good ATGATT there. I suppose in time one builds up ones collection. I’d need to re mortgage the house to get it all at once.

There was general chatter and refuelling then Wes, our intrepid leader, arrived to do the briefing and explain why he was late for his own ride. He was doing telephonic bike support or something...
Note Wes in the helmet explaining to Bus about the phone support.
Start2.jpg

Start3.jpg

Start1.jpg

Then we were up and away down the tar to the wind farm where went onto the dirt through a couple of farms and we popped out on the tar again on the road that goes through to Wellington.
A water stop
Stop1a.jpg

Stop1.jpg

It was down on the tar a bit then left back on to the dirt. This section was a touch more challenging for the uninitiated such as I. Especially as I didn’t realise I was heading into the soft stuff ‘till I was actually in it. Following to close and the dust from the dude in front was was obscuring the surface.
The forum wisdom flashed through my brain “Look up, Stand up & Open up.” I did that and wow, it actually worked – how cool was that.

Check out Wes doing the mother hen thing looking back to see how many of his fledglings were taking a sand bath.
Sand1.jpg

From there it was away on tar and then on to the dirt behind Riebeek Kasteel through the little pass and on to Darling on some gravely roads, the ones with those strips of soft stuff that just help you get your focus back when you drift inadvertently across one. The pass had some sneaky corners where much repeated wisdom was needed again “weight the outside peg”
Then all to soon we were on the outskirts of darling and pulling up for lunch and beer to wash the dust out of the throat. Guess I’ll have to add a Buff to my to get list. The spot was great as was the company and related banter – I can’t remember the name of the place though.

Chow4.jpg

Chow3.jpg

Chow2.jpg

Chow1.jpg

Then it was over. When’s the next one??
Thanks Wes, it was great
:thumleft:

Thanks Wes for the ride,
just what was required after the xmas feasts.
Nice to meet all.
Till next time.

:-[ :-[ :-[ :-[

So I was running a bit late but had enough time to get to the start by 07:15.  I live in the deep South so dont know the area at all. I had entered a route in my Nokia GPS so when I realised I was a bit lost I plugged in my ear phone and selected the route.  Cell phone in my pocket (no bike mount)  I followed the  Voice (that will be obeyed) 07:10, 07:15, 07:20!!??.  WTF? Check the Nokia GPS.  The fliping thing is sending me home!  Reprogram. (I cant see the screen in the sun light. I dont have a map. I dont have any contact numbers. I'm stuffed.  Anger and depression. Head for the airfield at Fisantekraal. No one there. Head to the One Stop for a Wimpy breakfast and coffee. Feeling better.  Hey! My brother lives on a farm on the otherside of Worcester. Let's go and show him my new bike.  

The start of one of the most awsome rides I have ever done. I did 470km solo over two days. Maybe 100km on dirt. Some of it twice because it was so much fun. I have now had two offs and done 1000km on my bike since I got it on the 13 December. We are bonding. I love this bike.

+2, thanks for a very nice ride and a brilliant day. We thouroughly enjoyed it, even the naafy wind on the R27 on the way home.

I would appreciate some info on the UVex helmets please. There was a carbon fibre one and a non carbon fibre one on this ride . I know someone who wants to know how much and where they can veiw the Uvex range.

Thanks again. Look forward to the next one.

Thank's the_wes for a lekker relaxed ride.Just what I needed to clear the mind(and system).Allways nice to meet new people and meet up with old Dogs.

Griffin said:
:-[ :-[ :-[ :-[

So I was running a bit late but had enough time to get to the start by 07:15.  I live in the deep South so dont know the area at all. I had entered a route in my Nokia GPS so when I realised I was a bit lost I plugged in my ear phone and selected the route.  Cell phone in my pocket (no bike mount)  I followed the  Voice (that will be obeyed) 07:10, 07:15, 07:20!!??.  WTF? Check the Nokia GPS.  The fliping thing is sending me home!  Reprogram. (I cant see the screen in the sun light. I dont have a map. I dont have any contact numbers. I'm stuffed.  Anger and depression. Head for the airfield at Fisantekraal. No one there. Head to the One Stop for a Wimpy breakfast and coffee. Feeling better.  Hey! My brother lives on a farm on the otherside of Worcester. Let's go and show him my new bike.  

The start of one of the most awsome rides I have ever done. I did 470km solo over two days. Maybe 100km on dirt. Some of it twice because it was so much fun. I have now had two offs and done 1000km on my bike since I got it on the 13 December. We are bonding. I love this bike.

Damn Griff would've been nice to meet you and see the bike of course. Falcon doesn't feel so bad about having miss it now..

WES  a great ride,i am the red klr . :imaposer:

It was good to wind down the year with meeting some new wild dog members.

I started the morning at 5.30 and rode the railway line route out of Darling ,dirt to Mamre followed by tar to Philadelphia and some further dirt to Durbanville.

All in all a good day.

Great new year to all.

Wow  what a great turnout...

looks like a fun day... :thumleft: :thumleft:

Good to some of the 'old faces' and a whole lotta new ones.... :thumleft:

isiTututu said:
Why does everyone look so seriaaaas?

First thing I also noticed  :patch:

Did the same route with my nephew couple of months ago.  Poor bugger had very little gravel experience and him and his wife went straight into an embankment in an off-camber corner.  Got quite a skrik when I started back tracking - the further I back tracked the more I realized the shit must have hit the fan - apart from some serious bruising they made it out ok.  It later turned out that he had his ABS on and did serious target fixation when the bike refused to brake.

What I noticed in the WC during my regular visits - dual sport riding is alive and well.  Wherever you go in the countryside over weekends you find D/S riders doing their individual / group thing.  Can't wait to settle there as well.

Hey Wes. Thanks man for a great ride and intro to the back roads of the west coast.
"Troublesome funduro" yup - that's me.