Enduro World Cross Country (EWXC) â?? Mystic Dolphin

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Splash

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 690 Enduro
From a spectators point of view, Enduro World magazine have a formula which should draw crowds. I arrived early as I was sharing a pit with Shark_za and Bullfrog who were riding in the Novice A and Senior Pro groups. I was riding in the afternoon in Novice C for riders with less than one yearâ??s racing experience. Groenie came along to assist as well.

I could not have wished for a more pleasant morning with drama at every turn. The venue lent itself to a tight course of around 13 kilometers. Within a stoneâ??s throw away, I had a steep hill climb or deep gully or technical rocky bank or even a log to get over. I managed to run my cameraâ??s battery flat in no time. So much was happening. As usual for EWXC events, the course was not that easy which did lend itself to endless drama. William Gillitt was the course builder and I am sure that he lies awake at night worrying that he has gone soft and made tracks for sissies. Well, let me immediately assure him that he should have other things on his mind in the middle of the night and not on riding bikes.

I fetched my bike from a service (every 15 hours) during the week so I arrived with no idea if it would even start â?? no risk of that not happening as it is well looked after by my dealer.

It went brilliantly. I may have gone out a little too fast for a hour and half race and my level of experience, but I think that I am now am starting to â??get itâ?. After three laps, I still had enough time for one more but could not hold onto my bike anymore let alone pick it up so decided to call it a day. I can now vaguely understand that it is like to want to throw up in oneâ??s helmet. I have never taken off kit so quickly. I was totally finished and about to explode, figuratively. I guess that if one is given enough rope, so to speak, one will hang oneself â?? it really creeps up, just a little faster, a little further and so the race becomes a mission. How weak is the human condition. At my â??lastâ? check I got the â??do another lapâ?? signal, which was when I had to acknowledge how tired I really was, for a second I actually thought all I had to do to carry on was let the clutch out and point the bike and I would be off again. Sense did prevail and I stopped, not sure what I was going to do next. I indicated that I was retiring and it did not take more than an instant for me to make a hasty retreat to my pits and a frantic hurry to try cool down and get some air. I was boiling. The next necessity was a cold Coke and to sit and try make sense of what had just all happened to me and my poor little body in an hour and a bit. In consolation, I had had a blast, what a ride, what a bike and what a course. Much more I could not have asked for. I can see this new â??thingâ? getting quickly out of control. I cannot resist this challenge and I think I have found a new outlet for all my competitive desires. The next EWXC is in Van Reenen which sounds daunting. I cannot wait.

From a riding perspective, things are starting to fall a little more into place, excuse the pun. I am feeling much more comfortable on the bike and seem to have more control. I still managed to do another forward somersault, this time in a narrow gully, resulting in my bike facing the wrong way. It is physically impossible for me to pick up my whole bike (115 kilograms plus fuel and oil) and turn it around so luckily one of the marshals came to my rescue. He did have his standards and would only help me if my four stroke had an electric start. It does so it was not doomed to be left to be ridden over by my trailing competitors. He was very impressive as he ramped by bike up the side of the gully and let the bike fall down on its wheels in the right direction. So much still to learn, let alone just experience.

The EWXC events are fantastic, thanks for a great ride and days entertainment.

Attachments

• MysticDBankAir.jpg
    MysticDBankAir.jpg
    174.5 KB
  • MysticDBankFall.jpg
    MysticDBankFall.jpg
    173.2 KB
  • MysticDGullyRamp.jpg
    MysticDGullyRamp.jpg
    186.1 KB
  • MysticDGullyVegetation.jpg
    MysticDGullyVegetation.jpg
    191 KB
  • MysticDHillMarshall.jpg
    MysticDHillMarshall.jpg
    188.6 KB
The top two shows classic Wild Dog form.
Photos first before helping Bullfrog extract his bike out the ditch he just launched it into.
Third pic is where he had just ridden up with too much pace.

More pictures:

Attachments

• MysticDLog4.jpg
    MysticDLog4.jpg
    174.9 KB
  • MysticDSharkBullFrog.jpg
    MysticDSharkBullFrog.jpg
    166.1 KB
  • MysticDStartOff2.jpg
    MysticDStartOff2.jpg
    159 KB
  • MysticDTree2.jpg
    MysticDTree2.jpg
    181.3 KB
Yep, What a great route and day!!!!!!

Thanks for sharing my mishap, Splash!!!!! (One of MANY!!!!)

I still have a lot to learn in this discipline of offroad racing......

I was still in my MX days frame of mind and and just tackled the fisrt lap at a stupid pace.... That left me exhausted, with just not enough time between difficult sections to get my breath back....

At 33 seconds you see Bullfrog going through, making it look easy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RgEQrnhWLU&feature=related

And then the fun hill.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S52M2ITsbyE

shark_za said:

I spent a memorable half hour at this spot helping pick up bikes  :biggrin: - I'm the dude dashing our from behind the tree on the right. This was when I finally decided I am doing the EWXC next year.

Looks like great fun!  :drif:

shark_za said:

Interestingly he was the only one with his weight on the outside peg.

Looks slippery as hell!  :eek7:

Well done Splash, nice write up.
Respect to all. I hope one day soon to start doing some events like this.

Lekker videos.... :thumleft:

I like these reports of you a lot. Thanks for sharing, and respect to the guys participating. :thumleft:

So did you check me on TV ;)
Fixing my bike with duct tape.

Also Bullfrog creaming the hillclimb.

shark_za said:
So did you check me on TV ;)
Fixing my bike with duct tape.

Also Bullfrog creaming the hillclimb.

Missed your TV performance. What programme was it on?

Have a look at E-Dirt for the Van Reenen EWXC event:

https://www.e-dirt.co.za/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=8639

Two Wheels , Friday and many repeats over the weekend and early this week.

Bullfrog hops over the tricky rocks taking the tigerline and making it look easy.

shark_za said:
Two Wheels , Friday and many repeats over the weekend and early this week.

Bullfrog hops over the tricky rocks taking the tigerline and making it look easy.

Farkin luck if you ask me!!!!!

Shark, I think I found you side stand spring at the top of 'Heartbrake' hill..... Actually picked it up and still have it!!!

You riding well man, the video evidence supports it!
That slippery off camber and then the hill, all class.

The jump out the gully, well, er, momentary lapse of talent ;)

I'll get the spring from you! thanks.
You find it when you and Wade went back there?
At least I didnt leave all my oil there like some people did.  btw, a Kawasaki chain guide costs around R1000, all in all.  ;)
It fooked too.

shark_za said:
You riding well man, the video evidence supports it!
That slippery off camber and then the hill, all class.

The jump out the gully, well, er, momentary lapse of talent ;)

I'll get the spring from you! thanks.
You find it when you and Wade went back there?
At least I didnt leave all my oil there like some people did.  btw, a Kawasaki chain guide costs around R1000, all in all.  ;)
It fooked too.

Thanks man!!!!

Yip. picked it up 2 weeks ago.... And the amount of oil spilt was quite frigthening !! a GOOD bash plate is certainly worth it!!!

I bought the aftermarket chain guide from RCR.....Was about R 800 but is made of polyurethane (sp?) or something . Russel recommended I fit it asap the day that I bought the bike from him. That thing takes some bashing!!!! Does not bend like the ally guard....