While making plans…..(Complete trip - Finally)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We eventually arrive in Sutherland. The town has had no Power the whole day, and there is no food at Die Boorgat where we stopped. We each have a beer, and decide to stop for a snack at the Paki shop.
The usual crowd looking for a handout is gathering, and we decide to head out of town and consume our lunch on the slope next to the road. Lunch consists of some nik-naks, washed down with some water. We feast like kings!
IMG_1494.jpeg

The view is also not too bad as far as lunch stops go.
IMG_1495.jpeg

The farm gates are a thing of the past, but the road is not high-speed dirt. We hit Middelpos and find a closed bar. The oom does however get us two cokes from the shop. We enjoy the coke in a glass bottle (tastes nicer) on the stoep of the Hotel. Interesting little place, Middelpos.
IMG_1497.jpeg

We get going again, as the sun is moving towards the horizon…
IMG_1498.jpeg

IMG_1499.jpeg

IMG_1500.jpeg

I’m in front and after a fashion I realise Biesie’s headlights are not in my rearview mirrors anymore. I wait, and after too long, I turn around and head back in the direction we came from. I am suppressing all the bad thoughts going through my head, but this is adv biking, and anything can happen.

Then I see Biesie from the front, and a “Thank Farking goodness” is let out inside my helmet.

Onwards to Calvinia. The road is interesting, it’s basically tweespoor, with highish walls of dirt forming a middleman between. Concentrate. The scenery is entertaining, with some mountains on the horizon that the sun is steadily creeping towards.
IMG_1501.jpeg

Biesie seems to fare a lot better than me in this section.

We fill up with Fuel in Clavinia, send a “I’m still alive” message to the loved ones, and head out to the guest farm.

With the sun touching the horizon, it’s getting quite chilly.
IMG_1502.jpeg

IMG_1503.jpeg

IMG_1504.jpeg

We reach the farm and receive a very warm welcome from our hosts.

The house is large, and we each get a room on the opposite side of the house. No snoring interruptions at all.
IMG_1506.jpeg

I guess other than the beers and the dik lam tjoppies, the best thing was the hot water shower.

The house has an indoor braai in the kitchen, which is great, because it was quite chilly.

IMG_1507.jpeg

IMG_1508.jpeg

We cook our food, eat, drink, chat, and go to bed early. It was a long day, and it’s not difficult to fall asleep.

I had a great night’s sleep.
It’s time for coffee, and I grind up some beans for the moka pot.
After coffee, we pack up. I walk outside and it’s overcast. The clouds are low, and there is a fine mist of rain making it’s way down.
IMG_1511.jpeg

While getting my things ready to go onto the bike, I leave the gate to the garden open. When I go back outside again, a sheep has made its way into the garden and is munching away in the flowerbed. Oops! This is what happens if you’re a city boy on a farm…the sheep does not seem to phased when I start herding it out of the gate, it brings it’s head in for some scratches, and I realise this is a hand reared sheep.
I close the gate behind the sheep.

The rain is not heavy, but I decide to don some rain pants in any case.
We get going, say our thanks to our hosts ( the sheep running happily along our bikes to the main house).
At the tar road, we head back in the calvinia direction and eventually take a right onto some dirt. It’s cool, and damp in certain patches.
IMG_1512.jpeg

We encounter some corrugations, and this goes on for a fair bit. It lets up every now and again, but in general the majority of the road was corrugated.
IMG_1513.jpeg

Botterkloof pass presents itself with a bit of sunshine through the clouds. Most spectacular.
IMG_1514.jpeg

At the bottom of the pass after some distance we ride past a beautiful farm (Doringbos). After which we cross the Doring Rivier.

IMG_1517.jpeg

We stop for a small break just after this where I remove my rainpants. The corrugations is not letting up, and both Biesie and I express our dislike for the phenomenon.
IMG_1518.jpeg

IMG_1519.jpeg

Shortly after this we ride up pakhuis pass where we stop at the Englishmans grave.
IMG_1520.jpeg

IMG_1521.jpeg

We roll through clanwilliam. The plan for today is to ride through the cederberge, visiting Wupperthal, Eselbank, oasis and eventually paarl.
The road has suddenly become quite busy. The drivers seem to forget that keep left is still the rule of the South African roads, even on dirt. I approach each corner with caution, expecting a vehicle to be in my lane, and I was not disappointed.

This part of the trip was fairly unpleasant, as the drivers really did their best to behave inappropriately. I guess having traveled for the last 4 days with very few encounters of other vehicles, this may have increased my feelings of animosity towards other road users.

We roll into Wupperthal. A historic settlement, with beautiful buildings.
IMG_1522.jpeg

The only place that is open is a little spaza shop where we buy some crisps (chips) and a cooldrink. The locals are friendly, and It’s a great little break on our journey.

I had no idea of the road ahead, Biesie mentions a couple of sand patches are to be expected at the top, nothing serious.

The cederberg mountains are special, and makes for scenic pics.
IMG_1523.jpeg

The road up the mountain has been cemented, some sections are a bit washed away, but the 12gs makes quick work of getting over the gaps and the steps.
IMG_1524.jpeg

IMG_1525.jpeg

Not a lot of photos from here, as this is where the sand games started again. Between the top of the climb out of Wupperthal and eselbank, there are sections of sand. Initially short and not so bad, but there is a particular section where it’s fairly long, loose and deep tweespoor.

As we are about to begin our attempt there are a bunch of female mountainbikers, they seem in good spirits, the sand not having bothere them that much.

I get going, and it’s not pretty. The middleman catches my front and I come to a panicked stop. I get going again, and meet some harder dirt for a breather. This riding sand is another beast.

Patches of sand continues and I almost connect the gate going into Eselbank. We stop in the shade of a tree to catch some breath and exchange a couple of what the hell moments.

The road through Eselbank is large dips and sections of sand, I try and keep composure as dismounting in front of the inhabitants will be less than ideal.

It goes by uneventful for the most part.

It is nice and hot, the adrenaline of the sandy sections made for increased heartrate and breathing, we take a breather along a section with enough width for vehicles to pass.
IMG_1528.jpeg

IMG_1529.jpeg

The road is second gear type riding.
Soon enough, we join the road that runs past Oasis, it’s a lot faster going, and by this time, I am only thinking about some cold beers and a burger.
IMG_1530.jpeg

Oasis, is as the name says, a welcome sight for weary travelers, hungry and thirsty, looking for shade, and some time to refresh.
IMG_1532.jpeg

We order some food and quaff a couple of beers. The wifi gives me a chance to do a bit of a catch-up with the family.
IMG_1531.jpeg

With our bellies full, we take on the last leg of our journey. The road ahead still has some fun, and I tackle it with vigour.
IMG_1533.jpeg

IMG_1535.jpeg
It feels all too soon that we are at the top of Gydo Pass. The pass flies by, as there is almost no traffic, I am by this time very comfortable on the bike, which means the corners are heaps of fun.

We stop for fuel in Ceres, and head over Bainskloof pass. Only two vehicles in front, the Honda Jazz pulls over and it’s open all the way to the other side. I smile from ear to ear.
IMG_1537.jpeg

The exhilaration of the corners is a drug, it’s so easy to overdose, and on this road it only ends in sadness. I am not trying to find the limit today.

We stop at the lookout for a final photo.
IMG_1538.jpeg

The past 5 days has once again shown me the absolute beauty and splendour of the cape, the passes, the mountains, the solitude and the stars. All this only surpassed by the best riding companions and friends.

Biesie has by this time solidified his place on the throne of the routemaster. Eisbein is a great riding companion, cool calm and collected.

It’s great to be able to share this experience with friends, this is another memory I will have for the rest of my life.

Thank you for reading, this report has taken some time to get done.

Please take some time to check out some short montages of the days on Youtube.

Attachments

• IMG_1534.jpeg
    IMG_1534.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1526.jpeg
    IMG_1526.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1516.jpeg
    IMG_1516.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1515.jpeg
    IMG_1515.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Thanks my ou.... was een vir die boeke. Ons maak binnekort weer so.

A very large thank you goes to Highlander. Without him this trip would not have been a reality.
He graciously, and without hesitation made his very trusty steed available to me.

The 2005 12GS handled everything we threw at it. It happily cruises at highway speeds with lots of power to spare. I am super impressed, and this bike will still happily go for another 100k kms.

AC01WP.jpg

Dankie Grootseun. Is dit dalk moontlik om julle roete te deel?
Ek sal dit vir jou moet tik, alles is in my kop. Het nie n GPS roete nie.

Laat weet dan kan ek dit PM.

Ek sal dit vir jou moet tik, alles is in my kop. Het nie n GPS roete nie.

Laat weet dan kan ek dit PM.
Dankie Biesie. Stuur sommer PM dan kan ek dit op GPS sit. Baie dankie.

Thanks for the nice comments.

I had a bit of a chuckle. Biesie's route plannig comes through as a whatsapp list. It's always very exciting, and holds a lot of mystery to me (not knowing all the names of the passes and the places.)