Engine Problems

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RD

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Kawasaki KLR 650
I own a quad that we use heavily on a Dairy Farm. It gets serviced every 100 hrs at our local dealership and I have had to replace two diffs and the odd universal and a couple of wheel bearings over the last 5 years. It is constantly in mud and cow manure.

I send it for another service and after a two week wait got it back to find that it started flooding after a few hours on the farm. The spark plug needed a clean and it was good to go, but did the same thing after a few minutes. I thought that it was a carberetor problem and send it back to the dealership, seeing that they worked on it. I got a phone call and was told that there was no oil in the bike and that it was pushing oil past the piston, hence the flooding. I never checked the oil level after the service and I was then informed that on the old job card, with the service, it was also noted that it was low on oil? It now needed an overall.

How does this work? If there was a slip-up at the service and no oil was put in, could the bike still run for a day before it started with its problems or was it just an coincidence that it decided to do this after the service?