Escape to Kalkfontein

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DASKOP

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS Adventure
It has been a difficult time and it took me a while to decide whether or not to do this RR, but I realised that I have to do what I have to, no matter the toll on me, if I am going to fulfill my objective of honouring my son, Brandon, and make a difference, so here goes.

17 February 2022

Today, my beloved son, my Brandon, my one and only child, would have turned 28.

I love you and miss you, my boy.

Forever.
Dad.

Attachments

• 20220217_092034.jpg
    20220217_092034.jpg
    276.7 KB
Hi Daskop. Sorry about the loss of your son. I can't imagine what it must be like. But if you can find the courage, we'd be honoured to read your RR please.

My destination was Kalkfontein Guest Farm, between Leeu-Gamka and Fraserburg in the Beaufort West direction.

This was to be my 3rd visit, so I contacted Gert and Julia and they did my shopping for me. I was traveling light. Just the basics on Matilda.

The route. PE to Rocklands, fill up, then Uitenhage, turn off on Cockscombe road, heading for Steytlerville. Plenty of wash-outs due to the heavy rain experienced lately, so caution was important, but I was not prepared for what lay ahead.

Attachments

• 20220217_080314.jpg
    20220217_080314.jpg
    358.2 KB
  • 20220217_090744.jpg
    20220217_090744.jpg
    302.8 KB
  • 20220217_092055.jpg
    20220217_092055.jpg
    333.5 KB
  • 20220217_095849.jpg
    20220217_095849.jpg
    323.9 KB
  • 20220217_100309.jpg
    20220217_100309.jpg
    415.4 KB
  • 20220217_101305.jpg
    20220217_101305.jpg
    358.2 KB
  • 20220217_101330.jpg
    20220217_101330.jpg
    207 KB
And then this, there was no way that I was going to be able to cross over here, slippery mud and a river in flood.

1,5 hour drive back to the main road to get to where I was going, really? Did not need this shit in my life right now.

Attachments

• 20220217_104421.jpg
    20220217_104421.jpg
    402.4 KB
The previous night, as I was doing the final planning and packing, I had decided to leave around 5 am.

That did not happen, for some reason, I found myself in a situation where I was not ready to leave, it was like something was holding me back.

I only left home at 08h00. I would eventually find out why.

Attachments

• 20220216_203321.jpg
    20220216_203321.jpg
    345.7 KB
As I was standing looking at this river in flood, a bakkie crossed over from the other side.

The driver stopped and asked me if he could be of help in crossing this major obstacle

Attachments

• 20220217_104428.jpg
    20220217_104428.jpg
    469.5 KB
DASKOP said:
My destination was Kalkfontein Guest Farm, between Leeu-Gamka and Fraserburg in the Beaufort West direction.

This was to be my 3rd visit, so I contacted Gert and Julia and they did my shopping for me. I was traveling light. Just the basics on Matilda.

The route. PE to Rocklands, fill up, then Uitenhage, turn off on Cockscombe road, heading for Steytlerville. Plenty of wash-outs due to the heavy rain experienced lately, so caution was important, but I was not prepared for what lay ahead.
Is that Kompassberg in the 1305 pic?

DASKOP said:
As I was standing looking at this river in flood, a bakkie crossed over from the other side.

The driver stopped and asked me if he could be of help in crossing this major obstacle.

Thando and his Isuzu 4x4.

My apologies for the delay in posting, and the reason for this needs some explaining.

The gentleman who so kindly stopped and offered to help me, is a test driver for the brand, which you obviously all saw, but he asked me not to put this out on, well on Facebook, as he is not supposed to do what he was about to do to help me.

As the story unfolds, you will understand what an amazing encounter it was, but I do not want to publicise anything which would negatively affect his career, but I believe that his company should know the quality of their employees, which he sooooooooooooo represented, before I go any further.

I need to clear this with someone in Isuzu, so that I in no way jeopardise this man's career.

He was the absolute epitomy of Ubuntu, something which we so desperately need within our ranks as citizens of this country, and I have made a friend for life. But, I need to follow the protocols, so as not to bring any harm to him.

I know that I can speak freely within this group, as I believe that we all live by the same ethics.

Please help me to honour him, which he so deserves, but within the confinements of corporate rules and regulations.

I need to find the right person within the Isuzu corporate hierarchy to talk to, it is an opportunity which they can exploit, sure, but it is also an opportunity to honour a man, who they should be proud of having represent them.

It truly was an amazing humbling experience for me, and it will always be an encounter I will remember for the rest of my life.

I want to do it justice, but in the right way.

Any help, suggestions, contacts?

RobC said:
DASKOP said:

Is that Kompassberg in the 1305 pic?

Cockscombe?

DASKOP said:
DASKOP said:

The driver stopped and asked me if he could be of help in crossing this major obstacle.

Thando and his Isuzu 4x4.

My apologies for the delay in posting, and the reason for this needs some explaining.

The gentleman who so kindly stopped and offered to help me, is a test driver for the brand, which you obviously all saw, but he asked me not to put this out on, well on Facebook, as he is not supposed to do what he was about to do to help me.

As the story unfolds, you will understand what an amazing encounter it was, but I do not want to publicise anything which would negatively affect his career, but I believe that his company should know the quality of their employees, which he sooooooooooooo represented, before I go any further.

I need to clear this with someone in Isuzu, so that I in no way jeopardise this man's career.

He was the absolute epitomy of Ubuntu, something which we so desperately need within our ranks as citizens of this country, and I have made a friend for life. But, I need to follow the protocols, so as not to bring any harm to him.

I know that I can speak freely within this group, as I believe that we all live by the same ethics.

Please help me to honour him, which he so deserves, but within the confinements of corporate rules and regulations.

I need to find the right person within the Isuzu corporate hierarchy to talk to, it is an opportunity which they can exploit, sure, but it is also an opportunity to honour a man, who they should be proud of having represent them.

It truly was an amazing humbling experience for me, and it will always be an encounter I will remember for the rest of my life.

I want to do it justice, but in the right way.

Any help, suggestions, contacts?

PM Sent

Etienne put me in contact with the right person, so now I can post.

Just have to sort the photos.

Well thumbs up - what a kind gesture and also to you Daskop for handling it the right way.

(Post edited Daskop - not sure if I understood you correctly but name removed.)

My apologies for not continuing with the RR, but there have been some complications.

The driver involved has sent me a personal message, asking me not to post about what happened, as he fears that what he did will get him fired.

WTF, this is not going down well with me.

Whoever ever responded, please remove all references as per the above.

This really sickens me, so much more motivation to get out of this beloved, but F#*ked up RSA.

DASKOP said:
My apologies for not continuing with the RR, but there have been some complications.

The driver involved has sent me a personal message, asking me not to post about what happened, as he fears that what he did will get him fired.

WTF, this is not going down well with me.

Whoever ever responded, please remove all references as per the above.

This really sickens me, so much more motivation to get out of this beloved, but F#*ked up RSA.

I eventually got in contact withe right person at Isuzu, thank you Hanlie, and got a positive response. Now I can share.

Good afternoon Marius,
We chatted briefly this morning. As I stated Thando’s actions to help you will be recognised by the leadership of Isuzu Motors and not criticised for him being helpful to someone in need. Thando is a great guy and is an example of what behaviours we should expect from all our citizens. Unfortunately this is not always the case. I am an Adventure bike rider myself and have faced some difficulties while out in the bush and have always welcomed a helping hand from fellow riders when in need so I understand the circumstances.
All our employees know the rules around confidentiality of new products and that they should not allow unnecessary exposure which could be leaked into the public space ahead of launch. Your case is not such an example and there will definitely be no recriminations for what he did. Our employees are our most important asset here at Isuzu Motors and we care for our people so be assured that Thando is not in any trouble.
Regards
Dominic

Dominic Rimmer
Senior Vice President Technical Operations
Tel: +27 41 403 9232
Cell: +27 78 056 1466
Email: [email protected]

Isuzu Motors South Africa
Aloes Industrial Park, St George Street, 6210
Markman, South Africa

Latest posts