F800GeenSand, BMW On Call & Tyres

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hardey

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW F800GS
          Just a quick update for the F800GS riders and prospective riders. I had mine now for about 9 months.
( https://wilddog.net.za/forum/index.php?topic=16847.0 )

Fitted it with a descent bash plate, wide foot pegs, crash bars (SW Motech) and handle bar raisers (Wild@Heart). Had a set of Wild@Heart crash bars on but replaced it with SW Motechâ??s due to bad fit.
          Kilometers done up to now just over 33500km. Still have the original chain and sprocket set on. The few problems had all been fixed under guarantee. 
          Here I must admit BMW On Call worked. Try my hand at the â??Desert Runâ? and about 10km before Askham on the VanZylsrus road along the Kuruman River, the bike died on me. (Happily still this side of the border) Was collected by BMW Upington, booked into a lodge and supplied with a rented car. Bike was sent from Upington to Midrand. To cut a long story short, it was the battery that packed up â?? apparently these new sealed units can not handle vibration, plates short out on the inside and no power, - the big problem was that the test & measuring computers used to diagnose the fault were faulty and the Technicians did not realise it, so it took a few days to determine that it was only the battery. So much for new technology.
For this trip I fitted a set of Heidenhau tyres, but must admit that I am not impressed with it. On tar and hard packed dirt it is fine but on loose dirt and sand the front tend to wash out. When corrective action is taken, the rear start to fishtail. Can get quite interesting with a loaded bike. Furthermore by the look of it the mileage wont be what is expected. (I average about 9000km with a TKC-80 on the rear)
          Overall I am still happy with the machine.