Fantastic "rock crawling" Africa Twin DCT

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andre01

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
This weekend we were descending a very steep, rocky and rutted (loose rocks) 4x4 trail near Riversdal. A decent of ±300meters.

At first I switched off all the electronics (ABS and traction control) and started the decent. After about 50meters I was almost completely out of control with the back wheel locking up and trying to overtake me. I managed to stop and switched on the traction control (on level 1) and activated off road ABS on the rear wheel. Also tuned with maximum engine braking.

I kept the rear brake in all the time. The ABS and traction control did a magnificent job of finding all available grip. I was then focused on helping the deceleration with the front brake and choosing the best lines. That was my only job. The engine braking and ABS handled the rear of the bike.

When I reached the bottom, I walked back up the hill to try and assist my father in law descending with his XRV750 Africa twin. I ended up riding his bike down, but it was a horrifying experience vs the CRF1100 Africa Twin.

X3 Twins at the bottom of the hill
ATx3.jpg