First Report. 2 Hours in the Cradle

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stormer said:
I have never heard of these guys. The SA 250K maps that comes with the CD, is it for the whole country? Is is the same maps that you can buy from the Government Printers?

I had a look at ozi explorer years ago (probably more than 4 years ago). I suppose you can mark the track and then print it?

The 250k series covers the whole country in 70 maps, each covering 2 square degrees. The 50k series is about 1800 odd maps each covering 1/16th of a square degree. The next picture shows what kind of detail you get for the 250k series.

Ozi is quite amazing. It is all that some people use... in fact a buddy of mine is involved with mountain serch and rescue and has the Ozi system on his HTC 7500 - it is all that they use for planning and tracking. So marking and printing is certainly a very basic can-do.

I downloaded all my maps - by topping up 3 days before the end of the month and then whacking the downloads overnight using a download manager... in the end it probably cost me 100 bucks.

I love maps - I still have maps I used in 1983 to set the Winterberg Enduro in the Elandsrivier mountains - and so Ozi and Mapsource together bring me lots of entertaining hours on my PC. My wife says it's my Facebook...

Attachments

• 250k Steytlrvlle.jpg
    250k Steytlrvlle.jpg
    212.7 KB · Views: 46
Thanks Carnivore, I'll give them a shout.

Another question. Are the maps already calibrated for Ozi when you open them or do you need to calibrate them the first time that you open them?