Fuel starvation on my 990R

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wayne Duck

Race Dog
Reaction score
No fixed address...Travelling Southern Africa in a
Hi, just thought I'd share...on the last day of Q4Q this year my bike started spluttering on acceleration. Initially I could manage a max of 70 km/h but this soon dropped to 60, 50 and eventually it would only idle.

I was thinking fuel filter but not convinced as I'd had this replaced at its first service (although that was more than 30 000 km's ago!) I was out of ideas and thinking how I'd be able to get the bike transported home when I took the key and opened the tank cap.

Phoooof, the gasses inside made a loud "explosion" as they were released. I opened the other cap with the same result. After closing I started up and it revved like it should! I continued on my way with the bike pulling as sweet as usual.

The day was a very hot one and I'd been riding slowish due to being caught behind some young kids for quite a while. I can only presume that this was a "vapor lock" due to extreme pressure build up / fuel "boil". So...if your 990 starts spluttering don't stop and strip the fuel filter, check the pressure in the tanks first  :)

Cheers