GAUTENG - DE WILDT RIDE 10 MAY

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pity we do not have any photos of the riverbed riding. That would have been worth a laugh or two!  :D

lightning1 said:
Pity we do not have any photos of the riverbed riding. That would have been worth a laugh or two!  :D

Ja, I intentionally packed away the camera "to protect it" while doing the river bed riding  ::)

Need some work on that skill.

Usurper said:
lightning1 said:

Ja, I intentionally packed away the camera "to protect it" while doing the river bed riding  ::)

When you do that work can I tag along ?

Make a day outing with the sand as an objective.

Ill organize a comressor, backup trailer and ambulance / hearse  ;D

Where did you take them lightning?
Did I hear sand? 

3-fences?

Hi Shark, definitely not coconuts. This was De Wildt 101. Saving that for the 3rd level.

We left from the Police Station, went around the water tower on the gravel, left up "the road" to the water reservoir (where we found some mud), where red sands would be on your left, across the tar road, straight up to the new tar road, diagonally right towards the village, along the tar road in the direction of 3 fences, until the road ends, then along the twisty narrow section (favoured by the quads and speedsters) that runs along the fence to the gate, through the gate, to the gravel road, and on to 3 Fences shop. After a rest we went and played in the sand at the end of the 3 fences section. Damn, that was a poor description, but I am sure you know where we went.

Nothing too technical, but a lot of fun.

... pro-fessional is the only way us WD girls do it!!!  :ricky:

GundaGunda said:
Usurper said:
lightning1 said:

That sounds like a plan, maybe we should also organize someone that knows how to do it so that they can tell us why we keep eating the sand instead of riding on it...

Usurper said:
GundaGunda said:
Usurper said:
lightning1 said:

That sounds like a plan, maybe we should also organize someone that knows how to do it so that they can tell us why we keep eating the sand instead of riding on it...

That expert is not I - all I have is some book-stuff from the onnie at bike-school, and a morning falling about his sand-pit.

But I think that river is a good place to go. It is not that horrible mine-sand that chows the bike and clogs up the air-box, and having refreshment at the shabeen near by is a plus.

Hows this for a plan ? - Bit of a ride to start - We head up the canal road to the east-most section of the route, cross over  to the route we did on Sunday to play on the sandy whoopie moundy thingies, up to the river bed, play for an hour or two and head home on tar.     

Maybe even have a bit of a barby at the shabeen with the locals to spread some wilddog goodwill? 

Cool, my bike is due its 60K service, need to get some new oil in there before I give it a thrashing in the sand.

lightning1 said:
Lots of thanks:

Sorry for delayed post. No doubt Lots of thanks due to all.

As a newbie to not only DS but to any off road riding at all, and going on a route that really stretched me beyond any ability and training I thought I may have. (especially with the sand monster and the muddies) The fact that I only went down 3 times and only the sand monster worth mentioning and that on the Sherman GS shod with anakees was quite amazing and certainly mostly due to being able to watch lighnting1 doing it first. And yes of course, for the first while Dakota was the crash test dummy, going down in places that I surely would have fallen if I was in front.

One thing I noticed although I never put my finger on it until later, the off road ride was like a super three hour gym session. I was totally exhausted and my whole upper body and back were very sore up till yesterday.

All in all probably the best biking experience and one of my memorable life experiences.

So thanks again to all.

BTW. I have a couple of pics of the sand. Lightning1 and Usurper, you guys were too fast for my slow camera phone so by the time the pic had saved, you had already moved out of the river bed. But Gundagunda, I got some nice ones of you in the bed. However, I do not know how to post them without falling foul of the forum police. So if someone can tell me I will post them

Hi Guys

I have heard and read about De Wildt and have been promissing myself to go there, Please, please, please next time you guys go for a ride there invite me.  :bueller: I don't want to rock up there on my own and break all the unwritten rules and spoil it it for everybody else because of ignorance.

sounds like a alot of fun was had by all, i am still so new to sand/gravel and the only part i have ever ridden on was the patch of gravel in front of my garage at home  :ricky:

So at the moment i am a little incapable of doing some riding due to a little op i had where the doctors removed the heart and serviced it with a new valve and new oil (blood), so should be up and running shortly, just another 3 weeks to go :p

I need some training to do gravel/sand roads, so if anyone is organising a nice day out which would be quite easy for a newbie like me then please throw a invite.

is there a way to get the route you took?

would like to try some time

WOW...looks like it was a lot of fun...I would like to join in on the next one!

Latest posts