Gauteng's wide open spaces, Suikerbosrand.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JacquesM

Race Dog
WD Vendor
Reaction score
Bike
Yamaha TW200
First the list of excuses:
today was not good weather for taking pictures, ideal for the bikes though.
my bike does not allow for look-ma-no-hands, so I've got to mik-and-klik the cellphone with one hand, hence even poorer quality pics.

We needed to get some last minute training for Argus next week, so we took on the route at Suikerbosrand.
You always find out that the route only takes you on, not the other way around. Those in the know say that the reserve has Gauteng's steepest hills.

We usually enter at the main gate, park at the complex and cylce the 58km one-way circular route. The entrance fee is R10 for the car and R20 per person. If you're able to convince the gate guard that your a pensioner he'll let you in for R10.

Very scenic, but not a walk in the park.

Attachments

• Suikerbosrand 071(R).jpg
    Suikerbosrand 071(R).jpg
    131.2 KB
  • Suikerbosrand 106(R).jpg
    Suikerbosrand 106(R).jpg
    139.5 KB
  • Suikerbosrand 124(R).jpg
    Suikerbosrand 124(R).jpg
    141.6 KB
  • Suikerbosrand 149(R).jpg
    Suikerbosrand 149(R).jpg
    116.6 KB
  • Suikerbosrand 164(R).jpg
    Suikerbosrand 164(R).jpg
    104.6 KB
  • Suikerbosrand 190(R).jpg
    Suikerbosrand 190(R).jpg
    169.2 KB
  • Suikerbosrand 208(R).jpg
    Suikerbosrand 208(R).jpg
    140 KB
  • Suikerbosrand 216(R).jpg
    Suikerbosrand 216(R).jpg
    147.7 KB
  • Suikerbosrand 229(R).jpg
    Suikerbosrand 229(R).jpg
    176.2 KB
  • Suikerbosrand 231(R).jpg
    Suikerbosrand 231(R).jpg
    102.3 KB
how long on the bmx and do end up in the same place ie start/finish or were you collected at the finish point, would like to do it on my mb is it tar all the way or some dirt bits looks tough

You are a very brave man doing that....... Mind you, Argus next week is also brave!! Maybe next year again - good luck!!!

DR750 - all tar, but there is a little side-route right near the end that you could take if you want some dirt - and a few minor loops around the eastern section too.

I once saw a dude there on roller-blades!

XXL said:
Pardon my ignorance, but is that a Bmx? Never seen such a long seat stem!

The bike is a 20" mountainbike, like for 5-8 year olds. The seatpost is a combination of 2 posts, I don't think you get 1 as long.

I've put a hub in the back that takes an 11-32t 9-speed cassette. In front there's 3 chainrings, 42, 50 and 60T.

The handle bar is from a BMX.

DR BIG 750 said:
how long on the bmx and do end up in the same place ie start/finish or were you collected at the finish point, would like to do it on my mb is it tar all the way or some dirt bits looks tough

I didn't check the time, sorry. Halfway my phone started ringing and I was off the bike a lot trying to do some business. It does afford one some rest though.

The route the cyclists do is a one-way circular route. There's no traffic approaching from the front except for reserve officials who "has the right" to drive against the flow. One's got to be very carefull for them. There's some scary downhills, and some meetings with white Isuzu'i can be challenging. The whole of the 58km route is tar, but there used to be shorter mountainbike routes in the past. I don't know if they still allow the bikes on those.

The cyclists actually frustrate them to pieces because of their attitude towards the reserve officials and littering. Every now and then you hear that cycling's are not allowed in the reserve any more, but I think they open it again for the sake of the income.

It is an ideal place to train. You get to do some serious uphills, and you are protected from traffic. It is also very scenic, that makes it nice. Sometimes you see lots of the typical highveld game as well.

Suikerbos is a wonderful place to go to mountain bike and also to hike as they have some really pleasant hiking trails and afterwards one can braai at one of the picnic spots.

BUT, unfortunately motorcycles are no longer allowed into the reserve. They used to be, but as per usual the minority screwed it up for the rest of us and because of some bad behavior by the few,  we are no longer allowed in.

Latest posts