Gear availability in SA

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pumbaa

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
I've been out of the country for quite some time and bought all my previous gear oversees (UK).  The selection of shops available were absolutely amazing with a huge stock range.  Most shops (at least 95% +) also had an online shop available with special deeals, free delivery and the like.

having recently returned back here, I find it absolutely amazing at the lack of these places in SA.  With reference to web-based online shops - Is it because there is no real market for it (surely there is big demand for bike gear) or the fact that SA population as a whole does not really get into the online shopping thing yet.

For example, I'm in the market for a new helmet at the moment.  I know what I want (Arai Viper GT in this case) and I know what size I need.  It would be so much easier and convenient if there is an online shop with good competitive prices.  It is SOOOO hard finding a place with good stock level and variety.  I know it will cost a fair bit to carry an extensive range of gear, but I think the demand must be there for this.

What do you guys think, or am I expecting too much ??? ???

Maybe I should get some cash together and start an online shop...anyone with a spare million or 2 for start up?? ::)