Gertrude throws a hissy fit.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Riaanc

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1150GS
Pre script: Welsh fitted the hydraulic chain tensioner on Sunday - half and hour - much respect and admiration. The knock is gone - cool. And he sommer did a TB balance too- man is a treasure, should not be loaned out to any but 1150 clan.

This week is Gertrude's commute to work week. This morning I put 7l of fuel (the last from the 25l can) in the tank.

I went on my merry commute, listening to the MP3 player, having a civilised ride.

25km into the ride, she just cut out - no warning shuddering or whatever, just wham!!!dead engine.

I freewheeled to the side of the road and studied the problem.

The engine turns over freely on the starter, but no ignition - thus, we miss either spark or fuel in the combustion chamber. Can't be fuel, fuel level is at half. The clock actually reset after every crank of the starter though. So - gotta be electrical right? No sparky then.

But the starter turns over ok- battery must be ok then.

Hmm..I am not pushing this bitch up an incline for 2km, I'll either give myself a stroke or worsen the hernia..

Another stab at the starter, and she fires up, but runs like a Lister waterpump, one piston is definately not doing the explosive thing.

Okay, get her to the nearest garage, a Shell 2 km further on. She runs so rough it hurts.

Freewheel into the garage forecourt - decide to fill the tank. I am thinking - fuel here dude. Battery is low granted, but she should be ok with generation once the engine run, so power is a red herring here.

Fill tank with 95 octane - starter button and we have the same 1 cylinder running issue.

Brain working.....okay buster, pull the injectors and check  that the pump is pumping and if any visible junk in the injectors.

Out with the spritzer thingys, pump delivers a nice 1m long jet of fuel when switched on and injectors off. Pump ok then.

Check out injectors, looks good. Suck em out baby. I so do hate the taste of 95 octane.

Re-assemble - start, and we have our well mannered fat german hausfrau back.

Cool - onward to work then.

10km later - she fits again. No warning - engine just quits.
Fuck.
Redo the injector tango. Starts up - runs nicely.

Discretion is the better part of valour. Decide to go home via Centurion to pick up a new battery from Wheeliedog.

Replace battery, on startup we are back with the one cylinder blues.

Quo Vadis?

Do the injector blow job on the right injector. Works-runs smoothly.

Go and visit Lennie at Bavaria and pick his brain.

Lennie offers a postulate.

I think on it, do the suggested action and ride the 52km home with no problem.

Here's your pop-quiz - what was the problem?  :biggrin:

Latest posts