Goodbye forever Longmore Forest

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TornadoF5

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 640 Adventure
Kinda haven’t riden for a long time and the irritations of daily life were really starting to get to me and this as for most of us all this means helmet time. Ironically Johan called me the night before and said wanna ride....? I don’t think he had finished his sentence and I was in.
With us both having things to do later that afternoon we needed a nice 4-5 hour ride with plenty of prettiness and something to cleanse the soul.
Now I’m a wee bit bored of Elandsriver / Baviaan’s and this left Longmore Forest trail. Only problem is we get to the gate and it’s locked with a big sign “no motorcycles, 4x4” etc. This we discovered would be the end of Longmore to all bikers. Well Johan the law abiding person he is says oh well we’ll have to turn around. I look around and see we can, with a bit of assistance get the bikes around the gate but it meant driving down a little donga of about 2m in length then dragging the tail of the bike out 180deg and off we went.
So off we went the roads which had a fair bit of rain were dry in some places and seriaasly snotty and slippery in others.
Here Johan stopping for a photo take
DSC07456.jpg

Trusty steeds against the pine plantations.
DSC07458.jpg

DSC07461.jpg

As we were nearing the end of the route we were stopped by the forest manager Tristan, who told us very sadly that we were not allowed to ride in the forest as it had been closed due to plastic bikes tearing up the place and an incident where a particular guy racing around hit a cyclist and it all ended up very nasty and legal. He even acknowledged that our type is not the problem. This is very sad for us as people who just want to enjoy the serenity of the place.
A beautiful valley and if you look carefully
DSC07471.jpg

A gorgous waterfall with rockpool
DSC07493.jpg

DSC07494-1.jpg

Some real pretty rock formations
DSC07464.jpg

DSC07467.jpg

Johan prepping for another  pic. He really got into this
DSC07465.jpg

P1020616-1.jpg

Well that I guess marks the end of another really kewl track where people ripped the ring out of it. Sad day for the nature lovers out there. Guess we can still hike it......

Yet once again,  1 or 2 idiots stuff things up for everyone else - man, this makes me mad!  :angry4:
That looks like a beautiful area to ride in.

Could a review on the decision be made and accommodate Adventure bikes only....like nothing under 200kg..... :peepwall:

Well to be honest they never really endorsed it and rarely ever enforced it being dept of forestry, but since the incident they banned everything. Even the forest manager is selling his 200.

>>Thump°C said:
one of the reasons I have quite exhausts
Thump did I meantion I can sell you a set of WINGS with 2 db mufflers (hooligan and quiet...)?

>>Thump°C said:
one of the reasons I have quite exhausts
Nothing to do with xhorsts... more to do with idiots and legal aspects of the land owner.
Letting someone on your land even inadvertently and having them injure themselves due to their own lack of skill does not absolve the land owner if he had no proper system in place to prevent such ingress. Alas the law is an ass. ::)

Is this the future of local riding... ultimately all bikes being banned from forest tracks...? A mate of mine who's a forester tends to think it's sooner rather than later ..

What can be done about these plastic shitheads ? How do we "adventure educate" them ?    :mad:

bloody fools.... why do the rest of us have to suffer because of a few morons who have no respect for the place  :eek7:.... what a shame, looks like an awesome place to ride in!

yep, hate those plastic bike wankers as well.  they ride all over lorraine in port elizabeth ripping up peoples grass verges.  i'd like to tie one of these unintelligent pricks to a chair, and make sure the exhaust is right on their ear then let rip.  noisy fools is what they are, they make harleys respectable  ;D

SnakeyXT said:
yep, hate those plastic bike wankers as well.  they ride all over lorraine in port elizabeth ripping up peoples grass verges.  i'd like to tie one of these unintelligent pricks to a chair, and make sure the exhaust is right on their ear then let rip.  noisy fools is what they are, they make harleys respectable  ;D

:laughing4: :laughing4: :laughing4:
Thats the best punishment I've heard of in a long time!