GP&NW

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grootseun

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW F800GSA
Cabin Fever is a thing.

We have had a very successful Christmas, New years is incoming, and being stuck in GP has me less than thrilled by being stuck at home.

I say stuck, as we are for the umpteenth year, not going away for December.

I decided, for my own sanity, and the prosperity of my family, I should get on my bike, and spend some time on my ace.

Taking the advice of my 12 year old to heart, this report will have a lot less “paragraphs”

I got on my bike this morning with no set route in mind.

The only real plan I had was to go and check out Brauhaus Africa ( Brauhaus am Dam on google maps) We were supposed to take a trip out with a small group, but we never even got started as JP got taken out at the traffic light just before our meeting point. He is ok, but no biking for 6 month at least for him.

Living in the west rand means the Cradle is on my doorstep, and this was a great start to get my mind into the bike.

(I’m gonna try and upload the clip).

After joining up on the Lanseria road, I saw, that I was going to have to stop for fuel soon.

My first “waypoint” was going over the new road (it’s already some years old) that goes over the bridge of Hartebeespoort dam. Underwhelmed, I stopped for fuel at the Engen close to Upper Deck, which was bustling as always.

After filling 24,9l in my 24l tank, I rode past Magalliespark to the dirt that starts Just after van Gaalen cheese farm.
IMG_0775.jpeg

IMG_0776.jpeg

IMG_0777.jpeg

It’s a beautiful day out, and the recent rains has the landscape dressed in green.

The road surface is pretty good, and I soon join the tar into Hekpoort.

Just after Hekpoort, I take the dirt that leads to Breedts Nek.

I have ridden this road numerous times in my Dakar, and this is as much fun. Lots of game to be seen along this road.

I have no intention of going up Breedt’s. From the reports, it’s not big bike friendly, and I did not set out for such an adventure.

Back on the tar, I high tail it to the brewery.

There are other bikes in the parkinglot, and it seems they encountered some mud/water in their way.

The beer does not touch sides. I enjoy the view while waiting for my food. My Currywurst is great, it takes me back to a similar meal I had in Cologne.
IMG_0778.jpeg

IMG_0779.jpeg

Time to hit the road, I backtrack slightly and take the sign that shows Boons. The road is smooth, and it winds nicely through the hills.
IMG_0780.jpeg

Just before this photo, A mozam cobra crossed the road, I tried to get a photo, but it had no intention of hanging around. I estimate the snake at about 2m. Not the first time I have encountered one in this region. Previously, on my MTB.

A reminder to be aware when in the grass, or on a footpath.

IMG_0781.jpeg

IMG_0782.jpeg

The Boons silo’s come and go, and I am enjoying the road immensely.
I was introduced to these roads many years ago by @wino

Just over a small rise, I had a serious “ohno second” in the for of a huge water puddle, spanning the width of the road, I hit anchors, and aim for the side, my speed is still way to high, and I commit to trying to skirt the water. I make it through a lot better that anticipated.

The adrenaline in pumping.

The views of the highveld is mesmerising.
IMG_0783.jpeg

IMG_0785.jpeg

IMG_0787.jpeg

IMG_0788.jpeg

I join the N14 for a short while before taking a left on the R500, a short distance on, I take a familiar right onto some dirt. This road spits me out back on the N14 that eventually seees mee going though the cradle past the caves back home.

Just beyond Bidon Bistro, I experience the familiar pain of getting stung by a bee. This one somehow flew into the jacket cuff of my Left arm and made its way up to my upper arm, where it decided no more, and stung me.

I remove the sting on the side of the road. This must be the 5th time I got stung on the bike since I started riding motos. It’s still not funny.
FullSizeRender.jpeg

Made it home safely, a nice little 320kms for the day.

Attachments

• IMG_0786.jpeg
    IMG_0786.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
Last edited: