GP to Namibia Bash Routes

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gee eS

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 790 Adventure R
I am planning to do as much dirt to the bash as possible. This will be my only long trip for this year.
I have come up with the following but nothing is set in stone and the trip going there can be extended with a few days if there is any interest.
Day 1 – 24-04-2013. Pinehaven to Bray(about 480Km) where the plan is to camp on the farm of Dr Rex on the Botswana border. We don’t even need to put up tents as there is a lekker afdak with a cement slab under which we can sleep(about 480Km) More than half of this route will be tar
Day 2 – 25-04-2013. Bray to Rietfontein via Van Zylsrus( about 590Km) where I plan to stealth camp just across the border if we get there before they close. If we don’t make it there is a lodge in Rietfontein and one or two near Askam where we can sleep over. Self catering unfortunately. I will find out if they will let us camp and whether we have to book rooms in advance. This will be the longest and toughest day. All but about 70Km will be dirt and sand. You will have to carry enough fuel and water for at least 370Km as there is NOTHING between Bray and Van Zylsrus.
Day 3 26-04-2013 - Rietfontein to Ais Ais(about 370Km) This will be an easy ride on mostly great Namibian gravel roads and we should reach Ais Ais shortly after 12:00
I have planned some routes in Basecamp, it uploaded to the forum but I can not open it. Iget a notice to choose which program to open it but cannot get the right one, could someone  please let me know how to do this.
I will discuss the routes with our local expert JIMBO to make sure we do not end up on the fence road in the river beds. As I have discovered in Mozambique deep sand twin tracks are not fun on a loaded 800 or any other big DS bike for that matter.
Coming back the plan is to slab it and sleep over in Upington or Orania. I have never been to Orania and really want to see what it is all about and I have read on this forum that they have a great B&B there.
I am solo at the moment but some company would be very welcome. Anybody going to the bash please feel free to join me and we can adjust or change the plans as needed. We can even extend the trip there with a few days and see a little more of Namibia.

Attachments

• Namibia Bash 2013.gpx
    461.4 KB · Views: 44