GPS or CELLPHONE MAPS and is it needed

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NEON DEON

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 1190 Adventure
A GPS with road finder maps can come in useful . Most of the time I have a very good idea where I am going to  ( my destination ) and I am fortunate to convert the GOOGLE MAP to the road , so have a very good basic idea and i have a very good sense of direction .
Having a "gps" tool could be a more than nice to have , My JEEP has navigation as std , set it to count down the distance so I know how far I still have to travel , more for info than any other reason , But buying a motorcycle dedicated GPS unit can be a expensive buy . This has me asking the question , is it worth it or will a cell phone work? I have a S7 Samsung that I could use , But think it will need to use Data for the maos to work. Believe there is a map to download , that is offline but if its offline how does it find your GPS location ?
Walked into one of these Gadget shops , And they had a nice sturdy looking  cell phone mount for motorcycle . Looks well made and sturdy , I could mount it above the speedo on my 1190 without to big a modification and it will be in normal view . Think the S7 screen could be big enough to view the maps .
If a cell is not optimal will the entry level road finders work? CONCERN IS RAIN.
On the plus side , the 1190 has a power port on the dash , so keeping the gps  battery going is not a problem . Just need to come up with the best plan , cell phone or a gps . AS IT IS NICE TO HAVE