Greetings from new member and big dreamer

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B

BigMattZA

Hi guys and girls,

My name is Matthew and I am an Ichthyology and Fisheries Science Masters student from Grahamstown / Port Alfred in the Eastern Cape. I've grown up with a passion for the outdoors and rode small displacement bikes and quads in the bush throughout my youth.

I have been based at a lodge here in Southern Angola for the last 6 months doing field work for my thesis and will be here for 6 more. I have met a fair share of overlanders in my time here, and chatting to them has resparked my lifelong dream of touring Africa on 2 wheels. I am a researcher by nature so I hope you guys don't mind if I bend a few ears and beg your opinion as my plans develop.

My broad and poorly hatched plan is to buy a 1-3 year old, well loved, less than 15000km odo KLR 650 or XT660Z and kit it basically but properly for an extended tour of at least Southern Africa. I am still very much in the planning phase and still have a thesis to write between now and end of this year but I would hope to leave in the first quarter of 2016.

Being a student means I am limited by budget but hopefully my savings grow over the next year - I am no stranger to two minute noodles!

Thanks for listening

Cheers for now

Matt