Guess I wasn't paying attention - 2011 Harley Sportsters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the_wes

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
Harley Davidson (all models)
I'm not a big Harley fan - I find them too big, heavy, overdone, blingy and expensive. As I once read: "optimal noise and vibration without the unwanted side effect of horsepower". I think I loathe the typical Harley owner / rider (the stereotype) even more. So when I saw a Harley catalogue lying at my parents' house last night, and my Mom told me she was buying a Harley (and my Dad might follow suite), I was naturally bummed. Nevertheless I love motorcycles, and the thought of anyone buying a new motorcycle, regardless of the make, model and price, gets me very excited.

To be fair, I have ridden 2 Harleys in my life, and enjoyed both. The first was an older model Sportster, which I enjoyed the "vibe" of a cruiser perhaps more than that particular bike itself. The 2nd was the XR1200, which is just an outright mental ride.

Paging through the catalogue, I actually found myself stuck at the Sportster section. I have to say I am pleasantly surprised - for once Harley has put together a collection of bikes that actually look really cool. I can't speak for how they ride, but visually they are really well thought out. Certain models (like the forty-eight) even boast details like dropped mirrors and lower than average bars. Some models are loaded with chrome, others are totally "murdered out" - something for everyone.

My mom's settled on the 883 Sportster Superlow, as she's a short lady. It's a cool looking bike, and a fair price at +- R85k. My old man is thinking of getting a Sportster too, but I am pushing him to go with the XR1200X (as he's lank tall plus I want to ride it :p ) or at least the 1200 Nightster.

But like I said - cool bikes. Just goes to show what can happen when you're not paying attention.

Attachments

• pg_spxl883l_hde_bs_en_US_w1280.jpg
    pg_spxl883l_hde_bs_en_US_w1280.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 739
  • pg_spxl883r_hde_bs_en_US_w1280.jpg
    pg_spxl883r_hde_bs_en_US_w1280.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 738
  • pg_spxl1200n_hde_bs_en_US_w1280.jpg
    pg_spxl1200n_hde_bs_en_US_w1280.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 733
  • pg_spxr1200x_hde_bs_en_US_w1280.jpg
    pg_spxr1200x_hde_bs_en_US_w1280.jpg