Handlebar self-centering?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WP

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
I have searched for a solution on the various threads but couldn't find any, perhaps someone could help me?

I have a 2007 KTM 990 Adventure with roughly 25000km's on. I have only had it for approximately 3 weeks. A couple of weeks back I had a little fall on a gravel road at approximately 25km/h. Nothing major.

My handlebars seemed bent, but a Ktm mechanic told me one can just loosen them and then knock them back into position, which I did. The steering still seemed strange, I was then told to loosen the triple clamps and turn the shocks around a couple of times, tighten the triple clamps again and then all will be sorted. Which I did.

But I noticed that the steering locks into a straight position almost as if it the bearing has a slot to straighten it. I never noticed it before, could it be that the steering bearing is on it's way out?

If this should be the case, is it very difficult to do by oneself? Any help will be greatly appreciated!