Heated Grips - F650

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JourneyMan

Bachelor Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW F650GS / Dakar
I have looked at F650.com. Thank you Michnus. :mrgreen:

I did not get the answer.

Background. Postred May 2006. :redface:

Not being able to do trips, I've been tinkering with the Dakar by stripping it as far as I dare. Cleaned her and sorted the throttle cable (seperate post) and then started with all the panels and some other non-running essential stuff off. Then I noticed some smoke coming from wiring "deep down". Scared shiteless stopped the engine but the thin trail of smoke is still coming from deep within. It stops when the ignition is off but starts again with ignition on.

After another hour of removing parts etc. I found the source. One or two or both electrical cabling ommitting the smoke. After some tests, it became clear that it is the heated grips causing the problem. If heated grips off, no smoke and vica versa. See original problem above of grips not getting hot.

Any ideas before I take the bike to a dealer for super expensive repairs?

OK.

With everything off the Dakar at the moment, I decided to revisit the problem. More bits taken off this time.

Picture 1 - View of the relay?. Red spot = wires overheats and starts to smoke. Blue = No smoking.  One either side of the white thingy. The wiring goes down to the fuse box. All fuses OK.

Grips1.JPG

A larger pic.

Grips2.JPG

My questionable logic says it must be the white thingy causing the problems. :confused:

Any ideas?