Help needed to change a teerpad trip to gravel

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

V-twin

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
Hi dogs,

So 2 of my friends and I are in the beginning phases of planning a coast to coast trip during the week after Easter.
Two of them, ( both new WD members but don't know their usernames yet) are from Kathu in the northern cape. They actually started to plan the whole thing and asked if I wanted to join. Obviously I agreed as I don't do trips often enough for my liking. The trip they roughly planned thus far is as such:

Kathu (where they start off)
Joburg (Meet up with me)
Sodwana
durban
Margate
East London
PE
Knysna
Mossel Bay
Swellendam
Capetown
Saldanha or langebaan
Port Nolloth
Kathu

Now, I wont be accompanying them for the whole trip as I don't have enough leave.
Thus I will ride with them only up to margate or east london at the furthest.

My problem is..(and this is a big one for me), the whole trip is on tar :mad:
I have a 990 and JEEZ that thing doesn't want to go on tar. (Why i'm saying this is, its a bit thirsty when it comes to fuel consumption but when I'm enjoying it (riding off-road/gravel) I don't mind paying the bill. Tar riding however is boring as hell and obviously not as comfortable as their BMW 800 adventure and KTM 1190 and therefore I can't justify paying the fuel bill. Don't misunderstand me, if there's no other way i'll still do it for the  definitely awesome time with my friends, but I don't want to go on tar aaaaall the way!!

In elkgeval, could anyone please draw up a gravel route for me along the above mentioned way points as I reaally don't know those areas.(I'm also originally from kathu and didn't travel much in my life).
If you know of any camping accommodations at those towns please advise. Thus I need a screenshot or something of a gravel route that I could at least present to them and try to change their minds.

P.S hope you feel my pain and could help me in this time of great depression...(okay ek oordryf dis nie so erg nie.)