Hepco & Becker crash bars for 1150 GSA - to buy or not to buy?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1150GS Adventure
I am considering fitting Hepco & Becker crash bars (I believe the PC term is "engine protectors") to my 1150 GSA. This after dropping the bike twice already (fortunately at 0 km/h) and finding that it rests on the cylinder head and and not on the OEM bars. The H&B bars appear to be the only bars with a protection bar running below and outside of the cylinder thereby protecting the cylinder head in case of a tumble.

I know this subject has been raised numerous times on this and other forums but I could not get a clear answer either way. (I realise that there is as always some personal preference involved.) Apart from the obvious benifit I see in fitting these bars, I have the following reservations though:

1. The bars do not have support sections the bolt to the bash plate as in the case of OEM bars and I am concerned that the bash plate may therefore provide less protection / may be more prone to be ripped off (yes, I know this is a debate in its own right).

2. Apart from using the same frame mounting points as the OEM bars, the bars are also anchored at the rear frame - gearbox mounting points (the top mounting point of the footpeg mounting plates). I have seen posts (I think on the Adventure Riding Forum) stating that with these additional mounting points,  it has, in cases of hard falls, occurred that the gear box casing was cracked.

Are there any opinions and / or personal experiences in this regard?