Hey all - decisions, decisions, decisions???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Tong

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Yamaha TW200
Firstly just wanna say - great forum, spent about 30 mins here and answered most of my questions.

I will however appreciate any advice or opinions about my next disease......

The bug has bitten - time to buy a bike or two, one for me and one for the missus.

The decision about what bike to get her is pretty much a done thing as having short legs the lowered F650 GS is about it, unless I invest in some serious platform boots. I believe the seat height can get down to 730mm.

Now for me -
Immediate choices, the biggest and best, as with other contagious diseases i have caught in the past I do not want to go and buy a mid range bike and then end up upgrading 4 times before I have what I need. I would be looking at doing 1 - 2 weeks tours, mainly offroad, soft sand and gravel, I am a wide lad, about 100kg's and 1.85m tall. Below I have listed my choices and opinion on each - I have not ridden all of the bikes as yet but somehow riding a bike around a dealer parking lot does not mean much to me!
GS1200 - awesome machine but too heavy, especially once you have the gear strapped on.
KTM 990 - Very cool, but worried about dealer service.
GS F650 Dakar - Top speed 145km, why did they do this when the standard has a listed 166km - 145km does concern me on a Namibia trip - just getting to the border will be a mission at that speed ok so Im lying, the missus cant have a faster bike than me  ;D ;D ;D ;D
KTM 640 - prob a little high for me

Saw pictures of that GS 800 - SOLD! does anyone have any specs or info on this, I believe they looking at a March 08' release?

Look forward to hearing your bit......