High fender brake lines on 950S

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bie

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
NER-A-CAR
The 950S that I bought recently has a high fender kit fitted and I must admit, I like it better than the standard fender. Problem is the brake line comes down the left fork from the master cylinder straight to the left caliper where it is bolted to the caliper together with a second hose that goes over the front wheel to the right caliper.

When I first saw this setup I did not like it as the "bridging" line running from the left caliper to the right is exposed and could easily be ripped off if it gets in contact with the front wheel. On the very first trip I used this bike (Slumdogs to Old Thomas river), exactly that happened leaving me without front brakes. As a temporary fix I sealed off the ruptured line with prattley to at least have brakes on the left caliper.

I now want to properly fix this, but would like to do away with the loop going over the wheel as it is bound to repeat itself. I am thinking of running a second line from the master cylinder, down the right fork, directly to the right caliper. I see the OEM line going down the left fork has a hard plastic covering around the actual brake line to make it ridged, presumably to prevent flexing and rather make it the entire line move up and down the fork as the suspension compresses and expands. Should I do the same with the new line on the right? Also, there is a wire like "brake hose guide"with a rubber grommet on the end stabilizing the brake line close to the left caliper. Should I fit the same thing on the right or would a cable tie to the fork protectors work? I tried the PE, Cape Town and Jozi KTM branches for stock on this guide and grommet and only Joburg has stock, but cannot send it with speed services. Where else can I try?
Part numbers #6001 3025 100 and #6001 3025 050

Any other suggestions for a better setup?