Hiking GPS question: recording intervals in Auto Mode

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Karoo Rider

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Honda CRF-1100L Africa Twin
Hi everyone, we plan on doing a 4 day hike of ±40km soon and I was wondering if anyone has ever compared the amount of track points (for the same route) using the GPS's five auto recording interval options of Most often, More often, Normal, Less often, and Least often.

I'd like to get the entire 4 days' track as a single recording and therefore can't go over the limit of 10,000 points.  It will afterwards be put on my website for download so the file should be as small as possible.  I guess I can set it to record a point at say, every 5m which will result in ±8,000 points but the route varies from very technical and exposed terraces where it should record as accurately as possible, to long straight stretches that don't vary much and where a trackpoint every 5m will almost be a waste.  This is exactly the purpose of the auto setting in that it detects variations in speed, direction, altitude, etc. and records accordingly, meaning lots of turns and variation will result in more trackpoints saved, and long stretches of uniform activity will result in less trackpoints saved.

I guess the best will be to do a short trail for 5 times consecutively, each time setting the GPS to another recording interval, and afterwards compare the 5 tracks on a program like BaseCamp and count each one's amount of trackpoints.

Any tips will be greatly appreciated should anyone have tested something like this before.

Regards
KR