How to kill a Tyre in 4 days (BMW Eco 2011)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Charka said:
:laughing4: :laughing4: :laughing4:

Charka is jy vol dop?  :biggrin:

Rynet weet waarvan sy praat  :deal:  :3some:

Nee ek is nie vol dop nie,ek lag maar net oor elkeen se storie oor tyres....

Charka said:
Nee ek is nie vol dop nie,ek lag maar net oor elkeen se storie oor tyres....

Nou gaan gooi daar vir jou ietsie  :mwink:

Cheers  8)

Rynet said:
rubiblue said:
I love the TKC's, gives so much grip off road, but how the hell do you get so much milage. I did intentially abuse the tyre, but you get 500% more milage. But at R1.30/km it does not make sense, the Heidies gave me around 6000km per rear.

When I started pumping my tyres harder , it immediateley made a huge difference . I think on the bigger GS's , ( 800's 1200's ) tyre pressure is crucial because of the extra weight we carry . On smaller bikes it's not so essential . On tar I ride 3 bar at the back  ( 3,2 if loaded ) and 2,8 or 2,9 in the front.  Even off -road I try and keep them at upside of 2 bars, unless I ride soft sand  . I don't tend to inflate / deflate every time I change surfaces ,but certainly for long stretches I do . Its a hassle, but try it , it  makes a noticable difference . I also tend to rely a lot on engine braking and I don't do power slides. But that is not specifially to save tyres , rather just my riding style , I prefer smooth riding to jerky riding.

I only had one Heidi , and it delamintated , then had a flat and then burst so won't use them again, too many potential issues.  Admittedly , rider error might have had something to do with it , but I just don't want to worry about tyres . The TKC's are just so reliable in all conditions . I even commute with them in the wet and have never had issues with loss of grip .

So what are you saying, my riding style is jerky  :mad:

Rough Rider said:
Rynet said:
rubiblue said:
I love the TKC's, gives so much grip off road, but how the hell do you get so much milage. I did intentially abuse the tyre, but you get 500% more milage. But at R1.30/km it does not make sense, the Heidies gave me around 6000km per rear.

When I started pumping my tyres harder , it immediateley made a huge difference . I think on the bigger GS's , ( 800's 1200's ) tyre pressure is crucial because of the extra weight we carry . On smaller bikes it's not so essential . On tar I ride 3 bar at the back  ( 3,2 if loaded ) and 2,8 or 2,9 in the front.  Even off -road I try and keep them at upside of 2 bars, unless I ride soft sand  . I don't tend to inflate / deflate every time I change surfaces ,but certainly for long stretches I do . Its a hassle, but try it , it  makes a noticable difference . I also tend to rely a lot on engine braking and I don't do power slides. But that is not specifially to save tyres , rather just my riding style , I prefer smooth riding to jerky riding.

I only had one Heidi , and it delamintated , then had a flat and then burst so won't use them again, too many potential issues.  Admittedly , rider error might have had something to do with it , but I just don't want to worry about tyres . The TKC's are just so reliable in all conditions . I even commute with them in the wet and have never had issues with loss of grip .

So what are you saying, my riding style is jerky  :mad:

No , I am not saying that . I was just wondering out loud why my tyres last ( unlike everything else on my bike). I have no idea how long tyres last on a Huskey . My comments were restricted solely to TKC on BMW's . That  is all I know about .  I know on KTM's tyres don't last long, as their bikes seem to power through the corners as a matter of course , but the Beemers don't tend to power slide unless you make it .

And anyway I wouldn't know if you ride jerky, as I would never be able to catch you to find out .  :imaposer: But seriously by jerky I probably mean you ride a tad fast , and stop fast and do power slides and wheelies and stoppies and jumps , so its actually a compliment  :mwink: :mwink:

Rynet is correct, tire pressures are very important for life expectancy on knobblies.

Pump them to 3 bar+ on tar, it stops the kneading and keeps them cooler. TKC’s I have taken into Africa and come back after 9000 clicks and the rear was not f%ct (luggage and pillion), have destroyed it in 1200 km riding it hard but that’s easy.

Want to preserve your tires, ride with the right pressures and stick to the 120-140 speed limit.

Karoo 2 rear I struggle to get 6000, Mitas lasts 1500, the new Heidie rear sucks but will last you 15000.

Pressures on gravel I stick to 1.8 front and 1.6 rear unless I know I am going to ride sand all day then I will even go to .8 in the front.

Rynet said:
Rough Rider said:
Rynet said:
rubiblue said:

When I started pumping my tyres harder , it immediateley made a huge difference . I think on the bigger GS's , ( 800's 1200's ) tyre pressure is crucial because of the extra weight we carry . On smaller bikes it's not so essential . On tar I ride 3 bar at the back  ( 3,2 if loaded ) and 2,8 or 2,9 in the front.  Even off -road I try and keep them at upside of 2 bars, unless I ride soft sand  . I don't tend to inflate / deflate every time I change surfaces ,but certainly for long stretches I do . Its a hassle, but try it , it  makes a noticable difference . I also tend to rely a lot on engine braking and I don't do power slides. But that is not specifially to save tyres , rather just my riding style , I prefer smooth riding to jerky riding.

I only had one Heidi , and it delamintated , then had a flat and then burst so won't use them again, too many potential issues.  Admittedly , rider error might have had something to do with it , but I just don't want to worry about tyres . The TKC's are just so reliable in all conditions . I even commute with them in the wet and have never had issues with loss of grip .

So what are you saying, my riding style is jerky  :mad:

No , I am not saying that . I was just wondering out loud why my tyres last ( unlike everything else on my bike). I have no idea how long tyres last on a Huskey . My comments were restricted solely to TKC on BMW's . That  is all I know about .  I know on KTM's tyres don't last long, as their bikes seem to power through the corners as a matter of course , but the Beemers don't tend to power slide unless you make it .

And anyway I wouldn't know if you ride jerky, as I would never be able to catch you to find out .   :imaposer: But seriously by jerky I probably mean you ride a tad fast , and stop fast and do power slides and wheelies and stoppies and jumps , so its actually a compliment  :mwink: :mwink:

I must admit I was surprised when I found out how hard you pump your tyres, and apparently it works.

I run my tyres at 1.0 bar off road and 1.8 - 2.0 on the tar. Smooth riding definitely helps with excessive tyre wear; and smooth I definitely am not. My nick name with some of my riding buddies is throttle queen, it's either wide open or closed, or running out of fuel  :laughing4: which is my other problem I never seem to match the fuel consumption others are getting on the same bikes.

I don't know if you recall the last time we rode together I was sporting a nice shiner, curtsy of a high side on my XT from getting onto the throttle too hard on wet grass  :-[.

So I think you should stick to your tried and tested method of hard tyres and smooth riding style it is serving you well  :thumleft:

Rough Rider said:

I don't know if you recall the last time we rode together I was sporting a nice shiner, curtsy of a high side on my XT from getting onto the throttle too hard on wet grass  :-[.

Thanks RR  :thumleft: and yes is that the time you took a "short cut " and took a tumble in front of the surprised commuters?  :biggrin: >:D

Rynet said:
Rough Rider said:

Thanks RR  :thumleft: and yes is that the time you took a "short cut " and took a tumble in front of the surprised commuters?   :biggrin: >:D

:-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ it is indeed.

BTW I think if we swopped bikes I would be the one chasing the dust  :thumleft:

Haha Rough Rider  :imaposer:, or should that be Throttle Queen.  :mwink:

I am just jealous that you all get so little mileage on a tyre , I am obviously riding like an old woman, and seriously need to get some lessons in harder riding . I will try and toughen up a bit  :biggrin: >:D

So Rubbiblue sorry we hi -jacked your thread but I was just interested to see how the tyre wear can differ so much from person to person .

Ps saw your 800 GS in the for sale section and she is a beauty  :drif:

Nice fotos en ek stem saam met Rynet oor die banddruk op daai TKC's,al kon ek nog nooit sovvel kilo's uit hulle kry nie,maar as jy die druk reg hou kan jy 5000 - 6000 km uit hulle kry as jy nie te rof aanaan nie (dis wat ek uit hulle gekry het op my 1200 en nou ook op my 1150 GSA).

That "lewensgevaarlik" is not only heavy on TKC's, the sprocket eats inners and tiedowns.  :imaposer: :ricky:

Hahaha,  :laughing4: :laughing4: :laughing4:, yes indeed, I purposely forgot to mention that due to criticism that would follow.

I am obviously riding like an old woman, and seriously need to get some lessons in harder riding . I will try and toughen up a bit  :biggrin: >:D

[/quote]
:laughing4: ou grapgat !