How to Ride - when friends DIE

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BokvelJake

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW F800GS
This weekend I lost another friend in a motorcycle accident on Rooiels. This while I was visiting another friend in hospital having his 6th operation on a leg due to a motorcycle accident. I have lost 7 friends in the last 10 years due to bike accidents. Yes - sometimes it is due to other cars and sometimes some of them was just to fast in places they should not have been. I am 36 with kids. It is getting harder and harder to get on the bike. I have to commute by bike as I cannot afford a second car and bike payments. As hard as it is to get on the bike to go to work - I enjoy sitting in the Tankwa Karoo or at Oasis or camp next to the beach knowing I got there by bike. I really enjoy the bike and it is part of me. I understand the danger, but again - it is getting harder to get on. How do you guys\girls deal with such thoughts? One keeps on loosing friends by bike and all alarm bells go on, but the joy of riding can be so much fun.